+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cert IV troubles with tutor

Any advice on this would be great

DP is trying to complete a cert Iv through a Uni in Melbourne.

He started in December and has only completed one asssignment. Tutor said this was great. All good.

His tutor is terrible at communicating. Since December, DH has been trying through emails, phone calls (very rarely answers, never returns calls) and texts to have the theory, paperwork outlining everything he needs to do sent to him.

Initially, tutor was going to send by memory stick. This was 2 months ago. DH managed to finally get hold of him and he said he'd send it by cd rom. Also never happened. Each time he has blamed "his admin staff" so the latest is that he will send by email. He hasn't bothered to do it. How long does it take to send an email?!

There is no communication from him unless DH contacts him. Even then he just seems to be fobbing him off. We are in country vic. The Uni is 3 hours away. When he started the course he was told all paperwork would be there when he signed up. He travelled there and signed up, payed the fees etc and there was no paperwork, only for the section he has since competed. Was initially told it would be posted. And then it's been hassle

At sign up he was told he could complete in around 12 months or earlier depending on how hard he worked, it's now been 5 months. DH is desperately keen to finish this course but he isn't even been giving any assignments. He wanted to travel down last month but tutor said he was on annual leave. Tutor doesn't work set days. DH doesn't want to lose money from job, travel to Melb for him to not be there and it be a waste of time. And like last time, he didn't even have any paperwork ready he's worried it will be the same.

At sign up he was told it would be fine to do by correspondence and tutor said he needs to do 'theory component' before he can complete anymore assessments.

Unfortunately this uni is the only place in the state that offers this course.

Wwyd? Does this sound normal for cert Iv? We're very frustrated as DH really needs this course! Any advice on where to go from here we just seem to be going in circles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cert IV troubles with tutor

I think it's time to go above the tutor. Can you email a course director or similar to outline your concerns and what you need to have happen in order to satisfactorily continue in the course?
    I'm studying myself and I'm also a Uni lecturer/ tutor and what's happening sounds totally unacceptable
    Last edited by bel2466; 06-04-2016 at 17:40.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (06-04-2016),yadot  (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go above the tutor as well. Try the course coordinator. If you can't find that information, I imagine student services at the uni would be able to direct you where to go. It's completely unacceptable, and since there are records of attempting to get the information since December, if you have to fork out fees for the course taking longer, I'd tell them you aren't paying or want to be reimbursed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

yadot  (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The tutor is the course co ordinator 😟

Thanks for the replies

Would there be anyone else to go through? I've been having a look online and the website isn't very helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't get anywhere with the provider directly then I would call the national complaints hotlineImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1459934309.957107.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SoReady For This Useful Post:

yadot  (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    The tutor is the course co ordinator 😟

Thanks for the replies

Would there be anyone else to go through? I've been having a look online and the website isn't very helpful.
    If you want to PM me the course and Uni I'm happy to have a look who to contact next for you ?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (07-04-2016)