+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2yo with constant chest infections

Hi there. I guess I'm calling for experiences with people who have had kids with constant chest infections.

My little girl is 2 and goes to daycare 4 days a week. As soon as she gets a sniffle it turns into a chest infection. If she has pain killers in her system she's 100% so happy and normal with a cough but as soon as it wears off (like through the night) she'll get a temp (yesterday 38.9), start coughing and spewing. (Mostly phlem).

What I'm concerned about it - why does she keep getting them? My son always had ear infections (fixed with grommets) but never chest infections..

I am waiting until 8am to ring and book into Drs but thought I'd jump in here and see if anyone has had any experience..

Thank you so much in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    has she been going to daycare long? my ds goes 2 times a week for nearly 3 years now and still gets everything as he's a thumb sucker.. i guess he just picks up germs that way. i now give him probiotics every single day and a multivitamin and find it helps heaps. i usually start the probiotics everyday from start of April and by June it has well and truely kicked in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My twins are like this and we had a really difficult winter last year when they were 2. I ended up with them both in hospital with pneumonia for two weeks after a few chest infections eventually got on top of them. They say that they might have viral asthma (they are too young to officially diagnose but they have given us treatment) so i have a puffer to use to help when they are chesty. They are also on a preventer puffer morning and night to help build up lungs. ..it is a mild steroid. I'm waiting to see how this winter goes. Over all, each time we try to treat it as viral it gets worse until antibiotics are given. So it seems to be bacterial for mine each time. This is how they ended up with pneumonia. Drs insisting it would most likely be viral until too late. It's really tricky because I'm the LAST one to give antibiotics or medication unless absolutely necessary but after last winter I'm now trying the preventer etc. I'm also getting them the flu shot for the first time as they have this susceptibility. Being identical twins it is a bit of a clue that it must be a genetic thing (perhaps the asthma) that they have something that makes them prone to this.
    My best advice is to jump on any illness really quickly and treat it aggressively and consistently. At the first sign of a cold, treat temps, lots of rest, liquids etc. Wake them in the night for Panadol etc etc. Anything that prevents it worsening. As i was learning mine had this i think i was a little too gentle in my approach and things worsened. I can see now that by really acting on small illnesses we are getting better results with quicker recovery. Hope that helps. Happy to answer anything else if i can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh...by the way. My girls don't complain or show bad symptoms until the illness is already quite bad in their chest so I've taken to using temperatures as my guide to get them to a Dr, not waiting until they seem flat. They only get "flat" when it is bad. Also. ..with the dr. After the first appointment i always book for a follow up about 3 days later. Getting them to listen again they can quickly tell if it is improving or not. I often can't tell as the outside wheeze etc might not be too bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies for your responses. I got her to the Dr on Wednesday and got some antibiotics for her chest infection but she's still waking each morning vomiting. If she doesn't pick up tomorrow I'll be taking her back for a second opinion.

Her temps are lower which is great but she's still miserable when she doesn't have Panadol etc..

My girl is the same regarding how tough she is until she's hit rock bottom. Fingers crossed she'll wake up better tomorrow