+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I tried starting DS on solids at 5.5 months on medical advice. He didn't have a single bite until around 7-7.5 months. If bub isn't interested, there's no point in forcing the issue anyway. I say leave it if you think that's where she's at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS hated food. Tried a few times but he only started tasting/trying something at 7ish-8ish months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 months for both our boys but their diets still consisted mostly of BM. The solids weren't really substitutes, more a sort of play/trying new things. They didn't properly start eating solids til about 8 months. BLW definitely helps with getting them to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Offered BLW to DS2 at about 6.5 months, he didn't really eat anything until about 8 months. No issues. He wasn't hungry at all, still had plenty of bf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks all dd3 is almost 8.5kg and doing pretty good on just booby. I just wanted to hear anecdotal stories for those it worked out for. I rang my paed in bris yesterday and he said I could wait till 9-10mths as milk is still very important. The only issue was iron levels but if I have good iron levels some will transfer in BM and also we need to start straight onto iron rich foods like meat and leafy greens.

Reason I asked was that the idiot MACH nurses here in the ACT went off the deep end. I was denying my child rice cereal and purees. Really WTF?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Thanks all dd3 is almost 8.5kg and doing pretty good on just booby. I just wanted to hear anecdotal stories for those it worked out for. I rang my paed in bris yesterday and he said I could wait till 9-10mths as milk is still very important. The only issue was iron levels but if I have good iron levels some will transfer in BM and also we need to start straight onto iron rich foods like meat and leafy greens.

Reason I asked was that the idiot MACH nurses here in the ACT went off the deep end. I was denying my child rice cereal and purees. Really WTF?
    I found the same thing with some of the MACH nurses, in ACT too. There were a couple who were really good about me knowing my child, and pretty well left me to it, but others kept pushing different things. I think a lot of them are quite set in their ways. If she's not ready, she's not ready. I've known plenty of bubs who didn't start solids until at least 8 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My now 2yo wasn't really interested until about 7.5 months. Paed told us to start him at about 4 months and I did on and off from 4 months until 7.5 months. I did puréed to start but he only started enjoying food at 9 months when I switched to finger foods. Next time I would do BLW as all the kids I see that have done now are much less fussy. My son eats all fruits and lots of veg and salads but I still can't get him eating meat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My son started at 5.5 months, but he was certainly ready. It sounds like your little one is thriving on her milk so I wouldn't worry too much about the MACH nurse.

I am in Canberra too, and had a moron MACH nurse tell me that I was only breastfeeding my son beyond 12 months for my benefit She also advised me to give him milo as he wasn't interested in cows milk! I assume some of these people get their qualifications out of a corn flakes box. You know your bub better than anyone else so I'd definitely go with your gut and perhaps never see that MACH nurse again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going to avoid the whole MACH system. Bunch of idiots with outdated or simply just bad advice.

My first MACH visit was a disaster too. Dd3 was too fat at 4mths so I had to reduce milk and start on solids plus drop all night feeds. And when I said I was struggling with PND- I got told I would be put on their waiting list and to expect a call in 6-8wks. Thankfully my ob in bris mailed me a script for meds and got me into a phone counselling service.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'm going to avoid the whole MACH system. Bunch of idiots with outdated or simply just bad advice.

My first MACH visit was a disaster too. Dd3 was too fat at 4mths so I had to reduce milk and start on solids plus drop all night feeds. And when I said I was struggling with PND- I got told I would be put on their waiting list and to expect a call in 6-8wks. Thankfully my ob in bris mailed me a script for meds and got me into a phone counselling service.
    😦😦😦

I've had some terrible experiences with MACH's but that is truly jaw dropping. I'm glad you got some support from your OB. Hope you're on the road to feeling better.