+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How late have people started solids?

Dd3 is 6mths today. My older two now almost 6&4yo started at 6-6.5mths. They eat almost EVERYTHING! We did BLW for both.

Dh and I are wondering how late have people started their bub on solids. Anyone started around 7-8mths? Reason I'm asking is that bub still has her tongue thrust reflex. She also can't sit up by herself and isn't really showing an interest in food.

I'd also rather start around 7mths as we are going away in 2 weeks and I cbf cooking/packing food for the time we are travelling. I don't do processed food ever either.

BTW - bub doesn't NEED solids. She sleeps well with 1-2 overnight feeds and naps in good blocks during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sister started her son at around 8 mo because he had a very strong tongue thrust still. Even at that point he wasn't overly interested and had a strong preference for bfing. He's 8 now and is a good eater.

I started dd at 5.5 mo and must say I regret it. I let other people convince me she needed it and in reality she wasn't ready. Her sleep went to poop the minute we started and stayed that way for months.

If your dd isn't showing interest and you don't think she's ready then I say go with your gut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3 boys were all around 5 months, my daughter was 8 months because every time we tried her before that she just vomited

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 I did BLW. I offered finger food from around 6.5 months but he was sitting up confidently. TBH he just played with it. Wasn't interested. He didn't show interest until 8-9 months.

In other words go with what you think is right with DD3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I started earlier but DD didn't really eat til 10 months

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I planned to start from 6 months but DS was ready at 5 months. We did BLW from the get go and he is a terrific eater, always has been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both mine started somewhere between 6 & 7mths on blw (dd had puree for about 2wks before I learned about blw).

I didn't have any reason to delay - or start for that matter. They were fine sitting, crawling, sleeping through. DS was a big bub too yet was still fine with only bf. Neither of them have ill effects of waiting a bit longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS didn't start until he was 8 months old. We tried a little earlier with no success (he was premmie though).

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS had his tongue thrust until 6ish months. We attempted to introduce solids around 4 months, and he was totally disinterested.

He's 8 months this week and still isn't a big eater of solids. He will only feed himself, or be hand fed, HATES purees. That said tonight he smashed spaghetti and meatballs so we may be turning a corner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started both at 6mths.
    I think as its your third, you know what your doing, if she isn't really sitting, not showing interest etc, I wouldn't go complicating my life before a trip, I'd just wait till we got back. (Probably not the politically correct answer, but- enjoy your holiday!)