+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rental applications?

We are selling our house and will be renting for a while. We've owned this house for 4 years, so don't have any recent references. We also have 2 dogs, a goldie and a border collie, which we don't have a rental reference for.

Just wondering if anyone has tips or advice to increase our chances of being approved for a rental?

I was thinking of getting our current neighbours to write up a reference for our dogs, just saying as our neighbours they've never heard our dogs barking or seen them cause damage, that they're outside dogs and are well trained.

I was also going to attach a little letter from us just introducing ourselves and with a photo of us and the dogs.

Is this a good idea? Would it make a difference to our application?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would do both of those things - a pet reference from your current neighbours and a cover letter.

Whilst there are a lot of properties that stipulate no pets, there are also plenty that do allow them.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ☺

Luckily most of the houses in the area we're looking at say 'pets on application'. I'm just a bit concerned though as people know that border collies are usually crazy active and can get destructive if they're not exercised. Funny thing is though our collie is THE laziest dog! 😅

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Get your sales agent to write you a reference on how well the home is kept and how nice the dogs are - an agent reference is the best

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-04-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Get your sales agent to write you a reference on how well the home is kept and how nice the dogs are - an agent reference is the best
    Ooh, great idea! Thank you ☺

We only have one RE reference from 4 years ago, which will be a good one.

But before that we house-sat for a friend for over a year, and have a good reference from them, but I'm sure landlords/REs would feel a bit suss about that one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    This!
    We sold our house last year. .. and head both owned and not rented for 10 years. Our agent wrote us an amazing letter.
    I also referenced our sold property on real estate . Com so they could see photos of how tidy when we applied for rentals. We had a dog too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I also referenced our sold property on real estate . Com so they could see photos of how tidy when we applied for rentals.
    Great idea, I'll do this too ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Another thing you can do (if possible with finances) is to offer a larger bond. A bit of peace of mind for the owners I guess. A lot of the landlords at my old work were ok with pets, especially with people who had just sold (I wonder if they thought maybe owner occupiers were more careful?)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I got my rental the real estate said that the reason I got it over anyone else was because I provided every scrap of documentation that I could think of with my application. All ID, bank statements, references etc were attached to my application form. They said it was just so easy as they didn't have to chase anything up with me.
    They said the cover letter helped also, but the paperwork was my main advantage.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    When I got my rental the real estate said that the reason I got it over anyone else was because I provided every scrap of documentation that I could think of with my application. All ID, bank statements, references etc were attached to my application form. They said it was just so easy as they didn't have to chase anything up with me.
    They said the cover letter helped also, but the paperwork was my main advantage.
    I'm one of these super organised people who turns up to the open inspection with a completed application and all documentation in a manilla folder to hand to the agent on the spot. I'm a bit of a nerd like that! 😅

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (05-04-2016)