+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Update:

So, we have confirmation that they have a cat. My FIL was allowed access to the backyard to do repairs over the weekend, and there was a cat sunning itself, inside the house, on the window sill.

I don't like liars and I hate being taken for a ride. We have repeatedly tried to repair and do it fairly, and they keep pushing the boundaries.

So, what can I legally do about it?

The signed tenancy agreement states 'no pets allowed'.

Is the fact that FIL took a pic of the cat valid enough to issue a notice to breach? Or does the agent need to have seen it?

Am I allowed to ask for an additional pet bond in NSW?

Fwiw, I like animals! I like cats (see my reply above about dd).

I despise liars. They have been mean-spirited and deceitful since they moved in.

With 8 months left on their lease, I'm after advice on what I can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Real estate agents.. Help!

No, it's illegal to ask a tenant to pay a pet bond

No, the photo your FIL took won't be enough ( it may not be theirs, they are minding it, it was a stray cat etc) so the agent needs to write a letter saying something like:

We have been advised there is a cat being kept on the property, as you know this is in breach of your tenancy agreement and we require the cat to be removed from the home and give you 14 days to do this or further action will have to be taken

Then you can ask for another inspection, if the agent can see evidence of the cat you can apply for a tribunal order to make them remove it or break the lease and evict them - this will cost you however ( we charge $200 to attend each tribunal hearing)

Check with your landlords insurance as most don't offer pet damages ( which is why a lot of landlords don't want pets)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

misho  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    No, it's illegal to ask a tenant to pay a pet bond

No, the photo your FIL took won't be enough ( it may not be theirs, they are minding it, it was a stray cat etc) so the agent needs to write a letter saying something like:

We have been advised there is a cat being kept on the property, as you know this is in breach of your tenancy agreement and we require the cat to be removed from the home and give you 14 days to do this or further action will have to be taken

Then you can ask for another inspection, if the agent can see evidence of the cat you can apply for a tribunal order to make them remove it or break the lease and evict them - this will cost you however ( we charge $200 to attend each tribunal hearing)

Check with your landlords insurance as most don't offer pet damages ( which is why a lot of landlords don't want pets)
    Thanks for that, will follow it up.