+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If there is no damage then i don't think it's fair to expect that things be put away. A tenant pays to use the house and should be able to enjoy the house but if there us damage, stained walls, dirt build up in excess then thats not maintaining property properly. And you have to realize that a lot of people would make the house look immaculate just for an inspection and it's not how they live.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-04-2016),VicPark  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Real estate agents.. Help!

Last edited by misho; 05-04-2016 at 12:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    If there is no damage then i don't think it's fair to expect that things be put away. A tenant pays to use the house and should be able to enjoy the house but if there us damage, stained walls, dirt build up in excess then thats not maintaining property properly. And you have to realize that a lot of people would make the house look immaculate just for an inspection and it's not how they live.
    Fair point and I'm willing to cop that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

ProudMumma34  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    I've always been taught that it's up to the agent to educate and teach tenants how to be good tenants ( also to educate Owners to be good Owners) it's easy to look the other way, it requires less work, but at the end of the day it's your expensive investment property and it sounds like your tenant is failing to maintain the property to the standard of his lease obligations. It's the agents job to manage him on your behalf.

I would email the agent politely but firmly and spell out your disappointment with the inspection and what actions you expect to be carried out, if you are not satisfied with the response speak to the licensee.
    This!

And not mowing the lawns for three months is not on. And not allowing access because a grown woman is asleep in there, insane. I've still let the agent into my room when my baby has been asleep and turned the light on, I just asked her to be mindful of noise. Sorry you are dealing with this, being a landlord is stressful when you have difficult tenants.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 05-04-2016 at 10:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Given how they are making your life difficult I would be even more pushing that you want a notice to remedy sent in relation to the yard. The real estate needs to step up and do their job! Which includes telling the tenant to allow access and to maintain the property. I doubt the tribunal will allow a full payment if you detail all the work you have attempted to do to remedy the damage. You just need to be prepared with documented information of what you have offered and what had happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How much longer is left on their lease OP?

I remember your other thread regarding them being difficult with the repairs. They sound like dud tenants and if I was in your situation I'd want them out.

They seem to have quite the attitude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't just turn up and knock on their door out of 'concern'. They can breach you for that.
    I wouldn't be happy if the owner of my home just rocked up. You have breached your end by not giving them proper notice.

Sounds like yourself and the tenant have both made some mistakes
    Last edited by Cicho; 05-04-2016 at 10:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Unfortunately there is no minimum standard as the tenancy act states the home is to be kept in a "reasonable" condition and everyone's opinion of reasonable will vary

Your agent should send a checklist to your tenant with the inspection letter basically stating the lawns and grounds should be maintained, the home should be clean and tidy, carpets/floors clean, bathrooms, kitchen and appliances clean, blinds , walls and clean etc

They are allowed to have general mess so ironing boards and bags not packed away is fine but a dirty house and unkempt yard is not and under no circumstances are rooms off limits as our job is to inspect all rooms and yes red flags would go up immediately if access was not granted ( they could be hiding damage or pets or people not on the lease!)

The agent should now send a formal letter stating what needs to be cleaned and that full access is to be granted to that bedroom as we were unable to properly inspect it ( I would have asked to come back later that day when the "aunt " was awake as legally it's still inspection day and no further notice needs to be given)

Did the agent take photos? This is very important as they can be used as proof of the condition of the home if you ever go to tribunal

A time limit should be given ( usually 2 weeks) and add a clause reiterating that pets are not allowed and if found to be on the property will result in termination of the lease agreement

To be honest if it's your first inspection and the tenants are like this it's not a good sign and I would be recommending if they are the same during the 2nd inspection not to renew their lease and terminate them as the longer they are in your home the worse the maintenance issues will get , plus it might be time to find a new agent!
    This. When I was working as a PM, I sent a letter like what was suggested here. My standards of cleanliness were pretty high, but allowing for a house to be lived in eg breakfast dishes in the sink was fine. A weeks worth was not! Toys out was fine, cr@p strewn fro one end of the house to the other was not etc. I always checked the showers for mould as well. Things that showed how well the house was being looked after. And yes, my letter stated lawns to be neatly moved and gardens maintained.

I used to send a letter saying after thanking the tenant and if the house was good, I'd say that. If not, I'd give them a list of things to be rectified with a re-inspection date set for 2 weeks later. If they didn't remedy things, they were breached. That usually got them moving if the letter hadn't.

If you're not happy with the PM, I'd speak to the licensee or move agents. There are bad ones out there who do the bare minimum. Good PM's seem to be hard to find from all the horror stories on here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Far out this is stressing me out big time.

Thank you for all the info. So very very much appreciated.

I have drafted some dot points which we will check for legality first and then it will be sent to the agent, but t is in the vain of what you guys have said above.

We will be changing agents once the repairs are done.

The lease expires in December, unfortunately. We won't be renewing their lease.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    You can't just turn up and knock on their door out of 'concern'. They can breach you for that.
    I wouldn't be happy if the owner of my home just rocked up. You have breached your end by not giving them proper notice.

Sounds like yourself and the tenant have both made some mistakes
    According to the nsw tenancy agreement, I can gain access to the property in an emergency, and also if I have serious concern about the health of the tenant (I was checking that they were injured, especially as they have a kid).

A tree fell on the roof and there was damage done to the roof and ceiling - a gaping hole which the SES attended to whilst I was there.

I didn't go inside the house and I was there for a max of 3 minutes whilst my kids waited for me in my car.

Whether that was a mistake in a legal sense, I ascertain as being no. But as this is the first time I'm dealing with storm damage, next time I'll know better. Hopefully there won't be a next time.
    Last edited by misho; 05-04-2016 at 12:07.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (05-04-2016)