+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default single vs double embryo transfer debate

Hi I am booked in for my second round of IVF with ICSI in may and I am extremely conflicted in myself about a single or double day 5 embryo transfer. My first round of IVF was a complete disaster to say the least so I desperately want to increase my chances of success but i also know the risks involved with multiple pregnancies. I know no one else with fertility issues so DH and i dont have anyone else to talk to so we are feeling very alone.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did a double and ended up with a singleton - which was what I hoped for.

Honestly, I didn't want multiples and I sort of regretted it when I was waiting to find out if there was one or two so if you don't want multiples I wouldn't do it.

If it's not a scary thought and your doctor supports it, try a double. I do often wonder if transferring two is what got me over the line with my little one that stuck, but I'll never know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default single vs double embryo transfer debate

I agree with @rainbow road, if you don't want multiples then don't transfer two. Especially if they are 5day as they have a good chance of taking.

I don't know what your circumstances are but usually I've only seen FS's allow or recommend multiple transfers for 2 or 3 day transfers or where people have had multiple failures or are at an older age where embryo quality may not be as good.

Transferring 2 doesn't double your chances either, which a lot of people think is the case.

Best of luck to you both with whatever you decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses, FS doesnt want to do 2 but has ultimately left the decision up to hubby and I as we have fertility issues on both sides. I am unsure how I would feel if i ended up with multiples, I dont want them nor do i not not want them if that makes sense lol. I know when i think logically I should just go with a single but there is this knot in my stomach saying you should do a double hence feeling totally conflicted within myself even 😯

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had ivf with a single embryo transfer and have a 9 month old DD. I personally wouldn't do a double unless I was waaaaayy down the track of ivf rounds or over 40. Multiples have much higher risks for your health and theirs.
    Have they explained that 2 embryos can also split? For some reason ivf embryos have a higher chance of splitting leading to identical twins so if both implant and one splits you now have triplets. A friend of mine has a single transfer and ended up with twins 😳
    If your FS is against it then please follow their expertise. I know how it feels to badly want it to work (we had 2 years of fertility treatment including 6 cycles of different treatments) but for me the risks are too great. And having my DD as amazing as she is is so much harder than I ever thought possible, I'd be broken with 2 babies.
    I hope your next round works whatever you decide to do xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just re-read your post. Have you not started the cycle yet and you're just thinking ahead?

Maybe there's no real need to make a decision now. Wait and see how the cycle goes and you can make a call once you know what your embryos are like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cycle starts end april for epu in may. FS won't start cycle until i have decided on single or double transfer and has said i have to let them know by 2nd last week of april which i think is making it worse cause i feel a bit under pressure now because i had intended on just playing the cycle out and seeing what happened eg if i was down to the last 2 get them both implated but if i had 3 or more to only do a single but FS has said i need to decided and sign with my decision as the hormones can cause people to think 'irrationally' about tranfers and they want me going into it with clear intentions

Thanks
    Reviews
    What!? That sounds a bit ridiculous to me to be honest. Isn't it his job to advise you on the best approach depending on what embryos you have?

Anyway, I'm sure they can't hold you to any decisions made pre-cycle. It's not like they could force you to put 2 in if you say you've changed your mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many failed transfers have you done? Most FS's won't consider a double unless you've done quite a few that haven't worked, it usually doesn't increase your odds of success by much and it can increase complications. Twins usually just carry more risk.

How can your FS insist on you deciding now?? You don't even know how many embryos you'll get? That seems a bit strange.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by needingamiracle2016 View Post
    Cycle starts end april for epu in may. FS won't start cycle until i have decided on single or double transfer and has said i have to let them know by 2nd last week of april which i think is making it worse cause i feel a bit under pressure now because i had intended on just playing the cycle out and seeing what happened eg if i was down to the last 2 get them both implated but if i had 3 or more to only do a single but FS has said i need to decided and sign with my decision as the hormones can cause people to think 'irrationally' about tranfers and they want me going into it with clear intentions
    This is really strange?? You shouldn't have to decide anything till you know how many good embryo's you have.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (15-04-2016)