+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Phone upgrade help

Hi all.
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me. This is the first time I have been on contract with a mobile phone. My contract is up in June or July, but my phone is almost dead. My charger plug has never really worked since when I first got it (not the first time I have had this problem with samsung) I should have handed it back and got a replacement but didn't. same with my micro SD card. It's never worked (now I have lost that ) anyways my question is, how do I go about getting an upgrade phone? Do you wait til the contract has ended? Or can you get one now? I'm with telstra if that helps.

I did read something where you can get an upgrade at any time if you pay 150, but that's about the same amount I have left to pay off now til the end of my contract.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with Optus and they always upgrade 3 months before my contract is up. If they don't offer it straight away when I call 3 months before the contract is finished I say I'm going to move to Telstra and they upgrade me everytime with no charge. Just don't take their first answer and stand your ground. They want to lock you in again for another contract so they will eventually give in, in my experience anyway. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    I'm with Optus and they always upgrade 3 months before my contract is up. If they don't offer it straight away when I call 3 months before the contract is finished I say I'm going to move to Telstra and they upgrade me everytime with no charge. Just don't take their first answer and stand your ground. They want to lock you in again for another contract so they will eventually give in, in my experience anyway. Good luck.
    Yep - I'm with Optus too and they have always let me upgrade phones (same plan though) before my contract ends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I upgraded with optus 3 months before my contract ended with no penalty. I was actually able to get a cheaper plan!

Before 3 months I would havehad to pay a fee to upgrade early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Telstra should let you upgrade now, you'll just have to start a new contract. Just go into a telstra shop or call and ask when you can upgrade to a new contract, they'll tell you. I think it's usually within 3 months of the end of your contract they'll let you upgrade with no charge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as you go to another contact and not pre paid or post paid, Optus always allows upgrade 3 months prior. If you're not keen for another contract use the insurance (assuming you got it) before your contract ends. You may not get the latest phone but you should at least get one up from your existing one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I will go in store tomorrow and talk to them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am with Telstra and recently had to wait until my contract was finished to upgrade. Any time before that was going to incur a pro -rated fee.
    I wanted a new phone in January, but as my contract finished in late February, I was told I would have to pay $55 to upgrade.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found ringing Telstra was better than going into the store. For some reason they can give you better deals on your plans etc. I recently smashed my phone with 8 months left on my contract, they waived all the fees and upgraded for free. While I was at it, I negotiated a cheaper deal on my adsl and foxtel plus my hubby and daughters phone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maddysmama View Post
    I am with Telstra and recently had to wait until my contract was finished to upgrade. Any time before that was going to incur a pro -rated fee.
    I wanted a new phone in January, but as my contract finished in late February, I was told I would have to pay $55 to upgrade.
    Maybe I should tell them that I will be going with optus! Might kick their butts into gear haha