+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mummies taking zofran to ease nausea and vomiting??

So I ran out of zofran and couldn't wait till Wednesday for my usual doctor and I decided to go to another doctor. She refused to give me zofran and said lots of scary stuff about taking meds while pregnant. She was talking about deformation, autism, etc and it really scared me!
    Zofran is the only medicine that is helping my all day everyday nausea and actually being able to eat the smallest portion of food.. Without it I wouldn't even be able to drink water!

So my question is, are you talking zofran or have taken zofran? For how long during your pregnancy? What dosages and if you've had your babies with the help of zofran are they happy and healthy??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    😱 wow. That's pretty full on. I have taken Zofran a time or two so far this pregnancy and previously whilst breastfeeding DS2. My OB has prescribed it for me.

My sister who suffered with hyperemesis gravidium and required hospitalisation for 7-8 month of her pregnancies was on Zofran via IV. As in 24/7! She gave birth to two very healthy babies.

Look it is not a class A drug. It IS class B - so hardly in the category of deformities etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. So there has been a recent study (I can't find it atm) where it can increase birth defects BUT in pretty much all cases the benefits can outweigh any risks.

I took zofran daily from 7-18ish weeks. After that thankfully the nausea was tolerable without meds.

I was not able to function without it. I lost 7kg in the space of that time WITH zofran (I was down to about 45kg). So for me and the baby it was more beneficial. Also from memory it was more from the 3rd trimester where there was more risk. The dr was wrong to scare you so much.

I only took the 4mg wafer 1x a day. I am still pregnant but baby was happy/healthy at all my scans.

Were you able to get the script in the end?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my that makes me feel so much better.. Obviously the hospital won't administer medicine that will harm a baby! And OB will not prescribe to pregnant women..

I ended up going to another doctor and he ended up giving me the generic version of it and prescribed me with 40 tablets as well as a repeat! So I'm set for a while!

I was just really concerned about the risks.. I too am losing a lot of weight and I only just started! Last I checked I was only 46kg and I cannot afford to loose anymore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When pregnant the drs and pharmacists are so careful to only administer drugs if required.

Honestly, when pregnant the pharmacist was faaaaaaar more careful with giving medicines for anything and they did not give me 20 questions whenever I got the Zofran script filled. Yet I got it for everything else lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took zofran everyday from 6 weeks with my second baby - he is 100% healthy. My obgyn said it was fine. They also gave it to my baby when he was less than a year and had really bad vomiting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol they are definitely careful, the first question they ask is if you are pregnant if they know the meds are not safe..

Have you been taking the original or generic zofran? I have always taken original meds but the pharmacists reassured me that they are exactly the same..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh thanks Ashfirst, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! That doctor made it so dramatic and threw in the excuse of not wanting to loose her doctors license!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittykatty1987 View Post
    Ooh thanks Ashfirst, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! That doctor made it so dramatic and threw in the excuse of not wanting to loose her doctors license!
    Oh geez that is really mis-informed and overly dramatic!!!
    I had HG in my preg and took the max dose (24mg) of zofran every day from 7 weeks till around 24, occasionally after that as needed. No probs with my Bub but obviously that is just anecdotal and not the same as a population study, etc. Zofran is not considered to be in the "safest" possible category but I can reassure you that it is definitely prescribed to many, many pregnant women by GPs! I used the generic. If you find a better GP you could also ask about taking doxylamine (Restavit). All the best for a healthy happy preg x

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pharmacist can help with Restavit too. It's over the counter

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (04-04-2016)