+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dinner time

DD is 20 months old and is pretty fussy with food. It's mostly a textural thing. I feel like I have no idea when it comes to dinner time.

This is her routine;

*4:30 Bath
    *4:45-5:00 Dinner (she starts whinging around this time. I give jarred food or pre made frozen - remember 'fussy')
    *5:00 - 6:45 Watches telly/plays/might have a bit of milk in here at some point
    *6:45 My dinner time
    *7:00 bottle
    *7:15 teeth and then bed

My dinner time is the part I'm confused about. I'll often give her a little bit of what I'm eating, because she shows some interest in it. But it feels weird to me that she's kind of having 2 dinners. Should I be cutting out her 5pm dinner or should I not give her any of mine? I don't know what to do. I really want the both of us to eat dinner together, but she's so fussy and wouldn't eat a full meal of what I have, and I can't eat dinner at 5 or 6pm. It's too early for me.

I know this is probably just a load of mumble, but I feel like I don't know what to do.
    Last edited by poisonapple; 04-04-2016 at 13:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd leave the 2 dinners tbh. It can be considered supper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what you're doing doesn't sound bad, if it's working for you I wouldn't see any urgent need to change.
    Letting her explore new foods by having some of your dinner sounds great!
    If you wanted to eat together, could you give a smaller snack at 5 to keep her going a little longer, and bring your dinner a little earlier, say 6.30ish?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I think what you're doing doesn't sound bad, if it's working for you I wouldn't see any urgent need to change.
    Letting her explore new foods by having some of your dinner sounds great!
    If you wanted to eat together, could you give a smaller snack at 5 to keep her going a little longer, and bring your dinner a little earlier, say 6.30ish?
    I could, yes. I was thinking that before. I might try it tonight. I was going to have chicken skewers, which is easy for DD to manage, and some veg which I'll put on her plate too (they won't get touched, but one can try) lets just hope she doesn't fling the plate/bowl off the tray as usual!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be serving her a late snack at 4.30-5ish and having dinner together at 6-6.30. I think it's important to have meals together and by 20 mths she should be eating "family" foods. By modeling eating behavior she is much more likely to copy you and try new things.
    Most families with toddlers I know eat their dinner together around 5.30. It is early but you get used to it! Just have a little supper later in the evening

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I would be serving her a late snack at 4.30-5ish and having dinner together at 6-6.30. I think it's important to have meals together and by 20 mths she should be eating "family" foods. By modeling eating behavior she is much more likely to copy you and try new things.
    Most families with toddlers I know eat their dinner together around 5.30. It is early but you get used to it! Just have a little supper later in the evening
    This is what we do and find it works well for our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband works out of town during the week so I eat at the same time as my boys about 5.30ish. They go to bed about 7.30 - 8 so before bed we often have a late dessert or some fruit. On the weekends when husband is in town the boys still have their 5.30 dinner - but my husband and I will eat about an hour or so later. Most times the boys will sit at the table with us and have a small plate of whatever we are eating. I can't stretch out their dinner any later as they are starving by this time but they still like to sit with us and eat. They just nibble not a huge amount of food. I don't see any issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it sounds like a good compromise what you are doing. My girls are 2 1/2 and now that I'm on my own with them we still don't eat together. I know we should but i actually enjoy eating my dinner in peace after they are in bed at 7pm. So mine eat at 5 then i do bath, tv, play, stories, bed. Works for us. They haven't eaten dinner with me but they still have great table manners etc when we do it at other's homes or if we are out and they eat well and aren't fussy, so it doesn't seem to have created a problem. They eat at a toddler table in the kitchen and i stand in there pottering with jobs and chatting to them while they eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We both had dinner at 6:35 tonight and it didn't go down well. She had maybe 3 or 4 pieces of chicken and tossed the carrot, broccoli and sweet potato. There were a lot of tears, but I'll try again when she's had her bottle. If not, I'll save the leftover for lunch tomorrow and see how I go. I feel horrible sending her to bed with barely any dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my strategies when they were younger was to introduce things at lunchtime so that if they didn't eat it i could feel ok that they be hungry in the arvo. It felt better than sending them to bed hungry. So i gave the things i knew they'd eat at tea. Still packed full of veg etc but more hidden. So i avoided the guilt of sending them to bed hungry. Might be an idea.