+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Another wwyd.

Dh and I have 3 kids between us ( 17,15,12).
    We live in a small town with not much opportunity for the kids when it's time to leave school work wise. We have our parents close by but don't need them to baby sit kids as such.

We have been tossing up moving for a little while but have stayed due to eldest having Aspergers and has trouble making friend. This has come up because said eldest wants to leave school so not much holding us here except for my job ( im currently looking for a new one anyway) and dh job ( he does earn good money but not a steady income). We are thinking of moving south closer to my biological family ( more so my sister) but it's a huge move. New school, finding work, new house ( we rent now but rent is considerably cheaper where we want to go). It's only 2 hours from where we are now so seeing the parents wouldn't be a huge deal. There is so much more opportunity for the kids work wise and career wise. We wouldn't move for at least 6 months.

We are so confused stay and kids and is struggle to find employment and pay Through the nose for rent or move have a fresh start but kids have to start new schools and we new jobs but rent is cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Doesn't sound like there's much to stay for! Go for it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

lese82  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    How do your two youngest feel about starting new schools elsewhere? Can I ask where you are moving from and to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I understand how you feel, but my kids are still very young so I'm glad I'm still here with support of our parents.
    We are in a regional area with high unemployment, dh and all the other significant males in my life commute to Sydney for work (min 90 minutes each way).
    I know I'll be lucky if my kids will ever be able to find work without hours of commuting or an affordable house if they stay here.
    I dream of pulling up sticks and seeking a better life elsewhere - I can get work in my field anywhere- but to me family are priceless. That's what keeps me here. My kids can always seek their own opportunities elsewhere.

It's a very personal decision though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    How do your two youngest feel about starting new schools elsewhere? Can I ask where you are moving from and to?
    The youngest are fine with it.

We are in port Macquarie and looking to move to Newcastle area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I understand how you feel, but my kids are still very young so I'm glad I'm still here with support of our parents.
    We are in a regional area with high unemployment, dh and all the other significant males in my life commute to Sydney for work (min 90 minutes each way).
    I know I'll be lucky if my kids will ever be able to find work without hours of commuting or an affordable house if they stay here.
    I dream of pulling up sticks and seeking a better life elsewhere - I can get work in my field anywhere- but to me family are priceless. That's what keeps me here. My kids can always seek their own opportunities elsewhere.

It's a very personal decision though
    My husband and I both moved here to be close to our parents 10 years ago met and fell in love. I don't feel close to my parents in the sense I can't talk to them about anything personal but our concern is if they fall ill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lese82 View Post
    The youngest are fine with it.

We are in port Macquarie and looking to move to Newcastle area.
    Newcastle is awesome, so my vote is for the move!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lese82 View Post
    Dh and I have 3 kids between us ( 17,15,12).
    We live in a small town with not much opportunity for the kids when it's time to leave school work wise. We have our parents close by but don't need them to baby sit kids as such.

We have been tossing up moving for a little while but have stayed due to eldest having Aspergers and has trouble making friend. This has come up because said eldest wants to leave school so not much holding us here except for my job ( im currently looking for a new one anyway) and dh job ( he does earn good money but not a steady income). We are thinking of moving south closer to my biological family ( more so my sister) but it's a huge move. New school, finding work, new house ( we rent now but rent is considerably cheaper where we want to go). It's only 2 hours from where we are now so seeing the parents wouldn't be a huge deal. There is so much more opportunity for the kids work wise and career wise. We wouldn't move for at least 6 months.

We are so confused stay and kids and is struggle to find employment and pay Through the nose for rent or move have a fresh start but kids have to start new schools and we new jobs but rent is cheaper.
    CONS: moving, making new friends/connections

PROS: New jobs, cheaper rent, better opportunities for kids, closer to family

I would be going. I know you said your eldest has aspergers, and might have trouble making friends. TBH I would rather he had career opportunities rather than friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there is going to be more job opportunities, rent will be cheaper and the kids don't mind then I say go for it! I'm in SA have applied for so many jobs and not one call back, we are moving to Newcastle in a few weeks, applied for one job and already got an interview. You guys, including the children will have no problems getting work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have family in Port Macquarie and as much as I love the place I would move if I was you. They call that place Gods waiting room for a reason.

Newcastle will give you and your family much better opportunities.