+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Back pain.

I've been having a bit of pain from time to time in my lower back and I put it down to sharing a bed with my DD.
    In the past month it has gone from a niggle to significant pain and discomfort but painkillers don't help, Panadol anyway, it's all I can take while I'm still breastfeeding DD.
    I finally got to the doc last Friday and she gave me a referral to have an X-ray.
    on Saturday the pain moved around my right side into my pelvis and down my thigh, but still in the lower back as well and last night the pain woke me, I couldn't sleep with it so I got an X-ray today.
    I have to wait for the report but even I can see on the X-ray that my hips a misaligned and my spine is curving off to the left.
    What would cause this? Did anyone have anything similar after childbirth maybe? I haven't hurt myself in any way lately either.
    I'll try send a pic.
    Stuck on the couch today, the house is a mess but I just can't be picking things off the floor so I'm just not going to let it bother me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That curve is me standing up straight. The picture is straight too even though it looks like it's tilted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hard to say. It can be posture related - some things to consider are do you sit cross-legged as in one leg over the other? Sitting at an office desk and leaning one way for a phone or mouse, carrying a baby or toddler on one side more than the other.

It is possible that you have had this misalignment for some time (year's even) but only getting pain now while you're more tired/carrying a baby constantly. Pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding are all very hard on the body.

I would see a chiropractor that can assess your entire spine, posture and give you specific advice and treatment. Pain meds will only screen the problem rather than solve it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep! I do all of the above.
    Especially carrying the baby on the one side.
    Very bad, I know.

Oh I'm definitely going to see some one to try work on getting it better, I just wanted to go through my doc first in case it wasn't my back at all, could have been something far more worrying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My guess (non medical) birth plus carrying around babies.

As long as there is no wear and tear/slipped discs I would suspect it is something that can be fixed and maintained by chiro/physio/osteo but will also require some specific strengthening exercises as well.

I had a (somewhat extremely painful) muscle spasm that stemmed from misalignment in my pelvis. The physio could feel it was out all the way up my spine which also explained the tense neck and shoulders I always had.

I went for a few sessions (i.e. I think 3 or 4 over the space of a few months) and have been fine ever since.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Phony  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Yep! I do all of the above.
    Especially carrying the baby on the one side.
    Very bad, I know.

Oh I'm definitely going to see some one to try work on getting it better, I just wanted to go through my doc first in case it wasn't my back at all, could have been something far more worrying.
    Try not to worry too much. Most people have some degree of spine/pelvis misalignment and would be shocked to see their spine X-ray. It's not always painful - but good to get on top of so it doesn't get worse.

At least you are aware of it and it is likely easily fixed/improved with correct diagnosis, exercises, etc. in the meantime take note of any 'bad' postural habits you have (easier said than done when carrying around a baby!). I have the worst posture when I have young babies and get so sore. Regular Chiro helps me a lot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try sleeping with a body pillow or just a pillow between your legs. I had back surgery just after DS was born and this was one thing they suggested.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MyDino For This Useful Post:

Phony  (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I always prop myself up with pillows
    Ever since doing it in pregnancy I just love it

My own doctor is booked up today (and I'm pretty peeved she didn't call me back yesterday) so I've booked in with another one because I don't want to wait another day to see what's going on.
    Back is still sore and tender and as of yesterday I have pain in my lower right groin. Worrying.