Hi all! Long time, no speak! I’ve been having a bit of a break from the social medias, but have come across a quandary and I’m interested to know what others would do?
So, DH & I are selling our house and will be renting for a few years after we sell to save for our dream home. We currently live in “Town A” as that is where DH’s work is situated. I don’t really enjoy living here all that much. It’s hot, there are a lot of bogans (I know, I’m such a snob!), it takes me an hour to commute to work which I hate and have been doing for about 5 years, and it’s about an hour away from my family who are our biggest support network.
DH & I have been having a lot of trouble deciding where to move to. All of the suburbs surrounding us have either a bad reputation, or you cannot find a rental that will allow dogs. We have 2 large dogs.
Last night he mentioned off hand that he’d had a look at listings for “Town Z”. Town Z is about a 50 minute commute away from his work, but it’s all in the opposite direction to peak traffic, so it’s not a hard commute. Town Z also happens to be only 20 minutes away from my family. There are quite a few pet friendly rentals, although it is about $100 more per week than we wanted to pay, but still do-able. It would just mean I’d have to go back to work part-time after 1 year maternity leave. I’ll be going on mat leave in August.
To sum up:
Town A –
- I hate living here - hot, suburban, not enough green spaces
- No support
- Bogans/noisy neighbours/crime
- Schools in area are all below national standards
- Cheap rent
- We could achieve savings goals/buying dream home faster
- I could take 2 years off work/mat leave to finish my studies and get into new career faster
- 10 min commute for DH (=more time with kids, easier drive)
Town Z –
- 50 min commute for DH (= less time with kids, harder drive)
- More expensive, take a little longer to achieve study goals
- I would have to go back to work part time after 1 year.
- Closer to my family = more support and socialising
- Awesome semi-rural neighbourhood with great daycare and schools, family friendly, parks, and only 10 mins drive to bay beach
- Cooler climate
DH said if I want to move there we can, but I feel selfish that he would have to drive so much further and miss out on about an hour or so extra time with the kids. Although as he pointed out, I’m the one that’s going to be home the majority of the time so I need to be happy and comfortable where we are living…and I really don’t Town A. It's not the worst, but far from ideal.
So, WWYD in my situation? Can you think of any other pros or cons?
Please help me make up my mind!!