+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you make it work with work?

Hey guys,
    I am just wondering some thoughts,
    I am booked in to do a modified cycle this month (CD 1) today, however it means that I will need to have possibly daily/ every second day at the FS and or office. Unfortunately my working environment is really hard to just take an hour off in the morning soooo... my question is, how do I make it work? Do I fully explain to my boss (male) that I am undergoing treatment and it might require me to be at work late? Not sure how this option will go down with him, but what is my other option..
    Just wondering how you make your appointments around work?
    Hubby sort of understands but it's so much pressure..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been completely upfront with both of my bosses about doing IVF. I've told them what the process is, that I'll need hours or days off during each cycle and that I might not be able to give them much notice. They've both been great about it.

I think if I hadn't told them and just kept trying to make up excuses for having to have time off it would have worn thin very quickly. I've been at my work for ten years and I just didn't feel right about basically lying to them about days off.

It's also meant things like, my boss contacting me first thing this morning to let me know he's had gastro on the weekend and sorting out how we could avoid each other so I don't get sick, because he knows we're doing a transfer in a few days.

I'm very open about doing fertility treatments though, most people we know know what's happening for us. I feel much better being able to share the ups and downs than I would if I tried to keep it all a secret. I also try to talk about it in the hope I can eliminate some of the stupid stigma around infertility. It's meant more people have opened up to me and told me about their struggles, miscarriages etc and I think that's something we all should be able to talk about if we want to. I know some people don't feel the same way thought, but that's just me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

deku  (04-04-2016),rosey82  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to reply later

Thanks
    Reviews
    What sort of relationship do you have with your boss? How long have you been working with that company?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a male boss at the time and was upfront about undergoing ivf. It made it much easier to ask for time off when required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a job that requires me to be on site from 8am-6pm. If I'm not there the place has to be closed or a replacement found for me, so not flexible at all.
    I got so stressed about managing appointments so I ended up telling my boss & colleagues. Well turns out quite a few of them had been through IVF themselves! Felt like a real weight off my shoulders to be able to be honest about what I was doing.
    I found for BT's I could get to the clinic super early, be first and get to work to open up just a few minutes late (which I passed by the boss). On scan days I lined up a replacement to cover the first hour for me - you would be surprised what people will do for you if you ask.
    For my second cycle I ended up taking a 2 weeks off work to cover EPU and transfer - this only works if you have flexibility to take leave at short notice though. Was a nice little break.
    Basically you just get it done. Best not to stress too much and just deal with things as they come up. It's easier said than done but once you accept that you can't plan fertility cycles, you just have to roll with how the cycle pans out its a lot easier to deal with.
    Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (05-04-2016)