+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stomach ulcer

Hi!
    Anyone have any tips on how to get rid of a stomach ulcer? Do they actually go away? Or are you stuck with returning all the time? I've also got some oesophagus damage and apparently reflux, which I'm not having pain from but a constant need to burp, (sorry tmi) regardless wether I eat or not, it's driving me insane.
    I have been put on medication so the pain from the ulcer is under control although I still really don't feel like eating, but that may be from fear of being in all that pain again.
    (Sorry about the boring thread! I'm just so over this )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Stomach ulcer

I had a stomach ulcer caused by nurofen. The doctor prescribed me nexium. I do believe you can now purchase it over the counter. My diet was restricted to very bland plain foods for a couple of weeks and it healed on its own but now I can't take meds such as nurofen or voltaren. I guess it would depend on how much damage the ulcer has caused.
    I still suffer from reflux (horrendously during pregnancy) a fair bit years later. I enjoy my garlic and chilli too much lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stomach ulcer

@Little Miss Sunshine so if your unable to take neurofen does that mean if you do the ulcers return?
    I was in so much pain over the holidays and so nauseous I was unable to eat anything, I'm still being extra cautious with food.
    Did you have to do and endoscopy to check the ulcer is gone? How do you know it is gone otherwise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Stomach ulcer

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    @Little Miss Sunshine so if your unable to take neurofen does that mean if you do the ulcers return?
    I was in so much pain over the holidays and so nauseous I was unable to eat anything, I'm still being extra cautious with food.
    Did you have to do and endoscopy to check the ulcer is gone? How do you know it is gone otherwise?
    I didn't have an endoscopy to confirm it was gone, I just completed the course of nexium (I think it was 30 days) it was several years ago now so I do apologise about the vagueness. The pain had gone by then as well. I guess an assumption was made?

Antibiotics were not given as it wasn't caused by bacteria.

I believe you are more suspectable to it reoccurring if you take these meds, plus if you have a current ulcer the doctor told me it would be very dangerous with a risk of it bleeding or perforating. I'm not sure if the ulcer was caused by bacteria as opposed to NSAIDs the advice would be different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I didn't have an endoscopy to confirm it was gone, I just completed the course of nexium (I think it was 30 days) it was several years ago now so I do apologise about the vagueness. The pain had gone by then as well. I guess an assumption was made?

Antibiotics were not given as it wasn't caused by bacteria.

I believe you are more suspectable to it reoccurring if you take these meds, plus if you have a current ulcer the doctor told me it would be very dangerous with a risk of it bleeding or perforating. I'm not sure if the ulcer was caused by bacteria as opposed to NSAIDs the advice would be different.
    I guess that's a good thing, not have to worry about another endoscopy, yeah i've been told I'll be on the medication for a few months. Mine isn't bacteria related either.
    Pain wise it's eased up, I'm just paranoid of doing something to make it bad again!
    Thanks for the response!