+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Melbourne - what's to do?

So, I'll soon be going to Melbourne for a week for work. My middle parts of the day are busy, but i have time for fun and exploring in the morning and late afternoon-evening. I'll be staying in the CBD. So - what should i do while I'm there?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When are you going? And what sort of things are you interested in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be going next week. I like markets and bookshops and shops with unusual things. A good second hand fossick is fun too. I also like galleries and museums too. Not much of a clothes shopper. Keen to get some chocolate from Haighs ☺

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Danza For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Victoria markets are always good

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ai Wei Wei and Andy Warhol is on at the National Gallery. Both the National and Australian (Ian Potter) galleries are great, and free apart from the special exhibits.

There's a great shop in town called Wunderkammer full of cool 'curiosities'

Federation Square has a great second hand book market on the weekends

The comedy festival is on- if you visit the half tix booth on Swanston st you can get really cheap tickets for the same night

Curtain House has Cookie, the Toff in Town, Rooftop Bar (which shows movies as well but not sure if they're still going) and a great design bookshop called Metropolis- that's on Swanston st in the CBD.

You can do self guided lane way tours of all the street art, or one with a guide

Please don't go to the Queen Vic markets unless you want delicious produce- the back part is just awful- cheap clothes and tourist crap.

If you have the time to head out of the CBD a bit, there's an amazing second hand store called the Chapel Bazaar on Chapel st- catch the train to Prahran station and walk up Greville st.

Also there's heaps of great galleries around Collingwood (Smith st area) which also has some great second hand places too. Catch the 86 tram up Bourke st.

The Melbourne Museum is on the way to Collingwood on the 86 tram route too. The Immigration museum in the city is also worth a visit.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (04-04-2016),Wise Enough  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, @FearlessLeader, what a great list! Thanks! I'll definately see if i can fit some of those things in. I'm excited to see if the Warhol exhibition is on at times I'm free! Queen Vic markets I'm planning to go to, and walking some lane ways too. Thanks! ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dammit! The NGV is open 10-5, when I'll be working! It's open late Fri night, but I'll be heading home then! Ah well, I'm sure I'll find good stuff to do ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    The Melbourne Museum is on the way to Collingwood on the 86 tram route too. The Immigration museum in the city is also worth a visit.
    And the Chinese museum.

If everything is shut when you are working there are a few self-guided walks that you could do after work before dinner.

http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/vis...ges/Walks.aspx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Ai Wei Wei and Andy Warhol is on at the National Gallery. Both the National and Australian (Ian Potter) galleries are great, and free apart from the special exhibits.

There's a great shop in town called Wunderkammer full of cool 'curiosities'

Federation Square has a great second hand book market on the weekends

The comedy festival is on- if you visit the half tix booth on Swanston st you can get really cheap tickets for the same night

Curtain House has Cookie, the Toff in Town, Rooftop Bar (which shows movies as well but not sure if they're still going) and a great design bookshop called Metropolis- that's on Swanston st in the CBD.

You can do self guided lane way tours of all the street art, or one with a guide

Please don't go to the Queen Vic markets unless you want delicious produce- the back part is just awful- cheap clothes and tourist crap.

If you have the time to head out of the CBD a bit, there's an amazing second hand store called the Chapel Bazaar on Chapel st- catch the train to Prahran station and walk up Greville st.

Also there's heaps of great galleries around Collingwood (Smith st area) which also has some great second hand places too. Catch the 86 tram up Bourke st.

I basically second all of this. QV markets aren't great for shopping unless you're looking for food/produce or want crappy rip off type goods. I actually find it quite depressing. have always preferred south Melb markets really but they're also of no use to you unless you're after food/produce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like the st Kilda markets when they were on but last time I went was like 3 years ago. So they might of changed I like 'beach sort of things'...