+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shush patting

Hello all,
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with shush patting? My littlw man is 12 weeks old now and have been shush patting for 5 days. He never takes long to go down the problem is he doesn't stay asleep. I usually get 20-30min max in a nap. When should i start to see an improvement? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you doing it until he's drowsy, but still awake, or until he's asleep? If it's the latter, it's likely he's waking after the 20 minutes and wanting you to pat him back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doing it until his eyes close but definitely not asleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I did this method at sleep school. I was taught to do it until DS was fast asleep and to start the process again should he wake after a short period. I was taught to continue the process until he leaned to sleep 2+ hours for each nap. 12 weeks is so very young and its normal to need your help to settle at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah i understand he needs my help and i will continue to give it to him as long as he needs it. My nurse said that it is best to start it at 12 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Do whatever works for your bub. I found this method great when my DS was very little. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasia15 View Post
    Yeah i understand he needs my help and i will continue to give it to him as long as he needs it. My nurse said that it is best to start it at 12 weeks.
    Yes this is a good idea to do it now, before the 4 month sleep regression. Keep at it. Do you slow down the patting and quieten the shushing towards the end. I found with my kids I used the method to calm them down so they were no longer crying but so they would fall asleep while I was still there but was no longer patting or shushing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What shush pat technique do you use? I use the following:
    - put your hand on bubs tummy. Pat the mattress above bubs head. Shush.
    - after a few minutes take your hand off bubs chest. Continue patting the mattress and shushing.
    - after a few minutes stop patting the mattress. Keep shushing.
    - After a few minutes edge towards the door. Keep shushing.
    - stop shushing ***before bub falls asleep*** and walk out.
    - if at any time bub cracks up add the previous step back in (eg patting mattress) and continue.

If bub is still waking soon after it could be:
    - bub is far too sleepy when you stop (try stopping when bubs eyes are awake)
    - bub needs a comforter (cloth/toy)
    - some other sleep aid is in place that is affecting bub waking (eg dummy, feeding too close to sleep time etc).
    - something else to so with bubs nap times/routine/being cold/hunger etc.