+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default any vets out there that can help?

My DD left her leftover Easter eggs at a low level and my Mums dog got into some. He probably ate about 25grams of milk chocolate and he weighs 12.7 kgs. What signs should we watch out for and when should we rush him to the vets?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @amyd is a vet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

amyd  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not working at moment so don't have access to books to check dose etc but I just had a look on an online calculator and it seems to be a very small amount. Milk chocolate generally is not too bad and they often need to eat quite large volume, dark choc is the bad stuff.
    Options you have right now are to sit tight and monitor or go to the vet. Some dogs will vomit just due to stuffing their face which is a good thing as it will empty their stomach but if she doesn't you can either take her to the vets to be on the safe side (but as I've said the dose seems very small, if you want have a search for an online choc toxicity calculator and check yourself as I just did a quick check) or keep an eye on her.
    There are various symptoms to look for but to be honest I think the chances are very slim. These include neurological signs such as tremors, fits etc or Gi upset as mentioned with vomiting and diarrhoea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

loodle  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is where I looked and it has good info on signs to look for etc.

http://www.askavetquestion.com/chocolate_toxicity.php

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with all of the above. Only time I have seen problems with chocolate was when a lab ate a whole mud cake! That was a crazy heart rate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is a little bichon frise and he had only just started on it when we caught him so he couldn't have ingested more then 20-25grams

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My tiny little dog... under 10kgs got into an Easter egg once. Lindt milk chocolate bunny! !! The good stuff. She ate a fair bit. I rang the vet and they said being milk chocolate it was likely okay.
    She was fine. No issues.
    These dogs are mischievous! !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a vet, I had a dog die ( untreated) of a Freddo frog once. The same dog had done it before and got ill but ok, but third time wasn't so lucky. Was 5-10 kg, I forget exactly. It's the cocoa, it effects dogs heart. So I wouldn't count on anything being ok, even if they can get away sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son fed our 23kg mastiff x pup a tiny bit of chocolate and he vomited 3-4times that night and had the runs the next day, he was fine though (my son didn't tell me until ages later that he had given him chocolate) so I think it would depend on the dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow after reading this im amazed our dog survived. She ate all our easter eggs when we were kids (4 kids worth of eggs!)