+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,882
    Thanks
    351
    Thanked
    1,438
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default any vets out there that can help?

    My DD left her leftover Easter eggs at a low level and my Mums dog got into some. He probably ate about 25grams of milk chocolate and he weighs 12.7 kgs. What signs should we watch out for and when should we rush him to the vets?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,010
    Thanks
    780
    Thanked
    775
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @amyd is a vet.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

    amyd  (02-04-2016)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not working at moment so don't have access to books to check dose etc but I just had a look on an online calculator and it seems to be a very small amount. Milk chocolate generally is not too bad and they often need to eat quite large volume, dark choc is the bad stuff.
    Options you have right now are to sit tight and monitor or go to the vet. Some dogs will vomit just due to stuffing their face which is a good thing as it will empty their stomach but if she doesn't you can either take her to the vets to be on the safe side (but as I've said the dose seems very small, if you want have a search for an online choc toxicity calculator and check yourself as I just did a quick check) or keep an eye on her.
    There are various symptoms to look for but to be honest I think the chances are very slim. These include neurological signs such as tremors, fits etc or Gi upset as mentioned with vomiting and diarrhoea.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

    loodle  (02-04-2016)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Here is where I looked and it has good info on signs to look for etc.

    http://www.askavetquestion.com/chocolate_toxicity.php

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,670
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,573
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with all of the above. Only time I have seen problems with chocolate was when a lab ate a whole mud cake! That was a crazy heart rate.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    nh2489  (02-04-2016)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,882
    Thanks
    351
    Thanked
    1,438
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He is a little bichon frise and he had only just started on it when we caught him so he couldn't have ingested more then 20-25grams

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked
    3,395
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My tiny little dog... under 10kgs got into an Easter egg once. Lindt milk chocolate bunny! !! The good stuff. She ate a fair bit. I rang the vet and they said being milk chocolate it was likely okay.
    She was fine. No issues.
    These dogs are mischievous! !

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    92
    Reviews
    0
    I'm a vet, I had a dog die ( untreated) of a Freddo frog once. The same dog had done it before and got ill but ok, but third time wasn't so lucky. Was 5-10 kg, I forget exactly. It's the cocoa, it effects dogs heart. So I wouldn't count on anything being ok, even if they can get away sometimes.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jimboomba
    Posts
    280
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    127
    Reviews
    1
    My son fed our 23kg mastiff x pup a tiny bit of chocolate and he vomited 3-4times that night and had the runs the next day, he was fine though (my son didn't tell me until ages later that he had given him chocolate) so I think it would depend on the dog.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,719
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked
    642
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow after reading this im amazed our dog survived. She ate all our easter eggs when we were kids (4 kids worth of eggs!)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Any vets here??
    By monnie24 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19-10-2015, 10:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Swim Australia
Swim Australia are the leading learn-to-swim experts, and national swim school authority. With over 600 Registered Swim Schools located across the country, through our aquatic education, we aim to build a Safer, Smarter, Stronger nation of swimmers.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!