+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gallbladder

About 18 months ago I had my gallbladder removed. I had numerous gall stones and was constantly in pain. Ever since then, my health has been terrible, I put on weight really easy, I have horrible reactions to red meat, anything with refined sugar, dairy and gluten. I have gotten really depressed and irritable and my skin is constantly itchy. I saw a dietitian and they have put me on a no gluten, not sugar, no dairy and limited meat diet. My doctor said these complications can happen after gallbladder removal and some people do have to radically change their diet and lifestyle. My question is have any other mums suffered complications from having their gallbladder removed and how has it affected them. Any advice would be great, especially now as I feel I am making two lots of meals, three times a day, one for the family and a special meal for myself. Ugh, sorry for the rant, just having a tough time and sick of feeling unwell!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also had my gall bladder out about 18 months ago.
    I haven't had anything like what you are going through but my surgeon did warn me it could happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had mine out 2yrs ago.

Have def stacked on unwanted weight.

My body doesnt process oily foods anymore i ended up ill for hours after a small piece of battered fish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written your post! I had mine out 10 months ago and my digestive system now feels like it's completely wrecked. I did the no dairy no gluten no sugar on advice for about 3 months and it did help but when I tried reintroducing it seems to have made the reactions even worse. Now I just feel defeated. I've also put on heaps of weight yet am eating way less than I ever had. I know I need to put my chin up and accept that it's not changing anytime soon but I'm with you - so over feeling in unwell at the time. If I find the magic answers I'll be sure to let you know! Good luck I know it's hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou, I have been feeling so crappy. Just tired, lethargic and ill. Apparently, the gallbladder is important.. who knew? Lol. Without it, the liver is overworked and makes it harder to store necessary nutrients, break down fat and sugar etc. From what I have read there is a lot of opinion that the gallbladder shouldn't be removed but then you live with the stones and the complications from that. It's a bit of a double edge sword. I have basically been living like a vegan and it is sooo boring. I am having to be really creative in cooking and shopping, it is just so much extra work. Ugh. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gallbladder

I hate to say but it doesn't get any better...at least not for me. I had mine out 10 years ago & agree I wouldn't have had mine out if I knew then what I know now.

A naturopath told me that once you've had your gallbladder out you need to take digestive enzymes for the rest of your life. Trying to digest fat w/out a GB is like trying to wash greasy dishes without detergent.

I am about 20-30kgs overweight & need to eat like a rabbit for a month in order to lose a couple of kgs. I really wish I didn't do it I'm having lots of issues now with digestion, IBS etc but not getting anywhere. It really does come down to eating a plant based low fat diet in order to feel good which is really bl**dy hard to stick to all the time...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is very interesting.

I'm about to have weight loss surgery and I can guarantee 89% of the girls on there end up having to have it removed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The main issue with having your gallbladder removed is the digestion of fats. The gallbladder stores bile and squirts it's contents into the small intestine when you eat a meal to help break down and digest the fats. When the gallbladder is removed this doesn't happen any more and you just get little drips of bile from the liver constantly rather than one larger squirt with a meal.

The way to support the body after gallbladder removal is to take supplemental digestive enzymes containing the fat digesting enzyme lipase with every meal for the rest of your life. Like having any other organ removed that is essential, you need to replace what it did. For example if you had your thyroid gland removed you need to take thyroid hormone for the rest of your life, if you have your gallbladder removed you need to take digestive enzymes for the rest of your life. If not, you can become fatty acid deficient and deficient in the fat soluble vitamins A D E & K - those are very necessary for your bones, so osteoporosis can be a long-term side effect of gallbladder removal.

I hope that helps - it can be treated so that you feel a lot better, and enzymes are the key.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    following. this will sound silly but am curious regarding what enzymes to take.. my mum had her gall bladder removed years ago but has had these problems..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Something like this one is quite good and fairly inexpensive from iHerb - it has bile and lipase in it so is a good support for those without a gallbladder

http://au.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super-...0-Capsules/857

You could likely get something similar from a health food store in Aus - you would just need to ask for the strongest digestive enzyme that contains lipase.