+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default High risk care Perth

Hi ladies

Does anyone know of any high risk public care in Perth?

Mainly needing something for weekly appointments and numerous scans etc.

Is this only available through KEMH?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would imagine KEMH would be the place - if you're not comfortable there seek out Dr Neppe at Joondalup, he's the bomb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    I would imagine KEMH would be the place - if you're not comfortable there seek out Dr Neppe at Joondalup, he's the bomb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    KEMH is the place to be. If they are overflow, fiona Stanley. But I would rather be at KEMH. It is the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    KEMH is the place to be. If they are overflow, fiona Stanley. But I would rather be at KEMH. It is the best.
    Thank you.
    Have you been there before as high risk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No. I didn't develop into the high risk category until later in pregnancy. My Ob managed it fine. I was glad that nothing too complicated in the end. If there is anything seriously wrong, they would have sent me there.

A lot of people want to go there including me at the beginning. Unfortunately, i was outside the zone. Sorry, not much help here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLadyBugg View Post
    Hi ladies

Does anyone know of any high risk public care in Perth?

Mainly needing something for weekly appointments and numerous scans etc.

Is this only available through KEMH?

TIA
    Hi. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    Your question is a bit tricky to answer without more details. It really depends on so many things. Most importantly why is this pregnancy high risk?
    Which hospital is your local?
    This is important because all hospitals have different levels of care that they can provide. All hospitals will be able to book you in for regular appointments with an ob through their antenatal clinic. But it may be with a consultant on or it may not be and it will likely be with a different ob each time. Each hospital has a different way of running clinics. All will be able to scan you regularly (depending on the reason for scans the ob may do a simple informal scan at your appointments or they will give you referrals to have regular scans).
    BUT each hospital will have its own policies for what high risk conditions they will transfer to KEMH. It might by policy to manage your antenatal care but transfer you to KEMH for birthing or they may transfer you early in pregnancy. Is your health the main concern or baby? Are you likely to have pregnancy complications or labour complications? Some hospitals have obs on site 24/7 but some just have them on call. For example if your local hospital is Bentley, most high risk pregnancies will be transferred to KEMH. However if you are in Fiona Stanley's catchment area they can manage a whole range of moderate and high risk cases.
    I think the first step is to find out which hospital catchment area you are in. If the reason you are high risk is very clear then just call and ask if they care for women with xyz. Alternatively go to your gp and ask them to send a referral that clearly details your risks and requests an early booking appointment. When your local hospital receives this letter they will either see immediately that you are too high risk for their care and they will forward it to KEMH or they will book you in for an appointment where you can discuss your concerns and then transfer your care if needed.
    Does all that make sense???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    No. I didn't develop into the high risk category until later in pregnancy. My Ob managed it fine. I was glad that nothing too complicated in the end. If there is anything seriously wrong, they would have sent me there.

A lot of people want to go there including me at the beginning. Unfortunately, i was outside the zone. Sorry, not much help here.
    Thank u so much