+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Coconut oil for skin, what uses?

Ok so I'm fairly new to the coconut oil trend but am converted for cooking and now want to find out how it can be used for beauty. Initially I bought a jar of refined coconut oil (not virgin) as I didn't really know the difference but have since moved onto virgin oil. The small amount I had left from the original jar I put in a bottle to try on my skin. So far I've only tried it on my legs in the shower and on my hair. Both not successful. My legs were really dry and the oil just seemed to sit on the skin rather than be absorbed at all and my hair just became very greasy when dry.
    So is it just because I'm using non virgin oil? Or is this what normally happens and I need to use it differently, ie on dry skin and hair??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use virgin oil and use just a little bit on my hair when dry. I find it sits on the skin for a little while but does absorb. I use it on my face day & night and its amazing. My skin has this glow about it. Its organic and no crap in it, its just coconut! And its cheap. Love coconut oil. I use it as a lip balm too ☺

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used raw organic, cold pressed coconut oil on DS after the bath since he was a newborn and he has never had an issue with his skin. I use a small amount rubbed between my hands to smooth down my hair somedays and also as a lip balm. I did try the 'oil cleansing method' to 'wash' my face with coconut oil but it didn't work for me - I switched to unrefined hemp oil. Every now and then use it as a moisturiser on body at night.
    And cook with it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use it in the shower on both myself and DS2 (I used to add it to his bath water). I find it helps it absorb. Both DS2 and I suffer with psoriasis and excema and it ha smash a substantial difference to us both on a daily basis.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use it daily after showers, just a tiny amount. I have also used it for a face moisturiser when I forgot to take my normal stuff away one weekend. It was also great on cradle cap and on dry heels.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fauvette For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use it as a body moisturiser, however I whip my coconut oil and then put it in a jar so that it's like a body butter. I find it way easier to apply this way.

Also use it as a hair treatment once a week, leave it in my hair for an hour before I shower then wash it out.

Can be used as a makeup remover, it does work really well just depends how your face reacts when you use oil on it, I find mine gets way too oily.

Coconut oil is a necessity for me. If you google coconut oil uses it can be used for sooo much. It's also antibacterial and anti fungal so can be used on skin irritations, etc.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (11-04-2016),SoThisIsLove  (11-04-2016)