Gastro in 5 month old | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not my advice.

Rice water is commonly used in Asia to treat diarrhea in babies. It works wonder as I was told by many.

I think @Gelati was told by the GP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Isn't that because it's considered binding? Most people don't recommend using any rice products on babies anymore as it causes constipation. Rice water is probably offered as a treatment to stop the gastro. Just my guess. I've never used it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree rice water is great for binding and stopping diarrhoea in older kids and adults. But it's not so good for babies as its missing important electrolytes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelati View Post
    Hi all, my 5 month old son suddenly started diarrhoea one day and went 8 times that day. No fever or vomiting but gp said it was gastro. I feed bm and formula due to low supply. For a couple of days we ended up feeding rice water and breastmilk only and the diarrhoea started clearing up. Then we slowly introduced normal formula and diarrhoea came back but only 3-4 times a day. After 1 week ds was losing weight probably cos of rice water so we were told to stop rice water and move onto lactose free formula and wait for gut to heal. Now after 2.5 days on lactose free his diarrhoea is getting way worse - 6 times a day at least. How long did it take for your baby's stools to become normal again after using lactose free?
    After having gastro a babies stomach can be damaged and infact sometimes can never return to dairy (worst case scenario) we had this happen to us I'm having a brain fart to what the things are called in belly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son had quite bad gastro at 5 months too, vomitting, diarrhoea, the works. We had to change to lactose free too. First we had to make sure he was hydrated so I had to give him a lot of hydralyte to drink and pretty much no milk for a couple of days. They said not too worry too much if he loses a little weight initially. Then we switched to lactose free. It took him a few days to settle on it. I think he was sick about 10 days in total. Once he seemed back to Normal on the lactose free we slowly mixed up the regular formula and lactose free together, slowly over a week building back up to all regular formula. We used nan comfort though as it seemed a bit gentler on his tummy.
    We also kept up a little hydralyte between milk bottles whilst he still had any signs of sickness so he kept hydrated and gave his little tummy a break from all milk.

I hope your Bub gets better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies Yes it's the brown mucus that worries me but the gp said that's just the way the stomach is healing itself. It's like when we get a runny nose. DS's gastro was never that bad...no vomiting, fever or loss of appetite. He just suddenly had 8 loose bowels one day and that's when we started on the rice water to dilute the formula (still gave him all the breastmilk i could pump) to try to make it gentler on his stomach but after a couple of days of that and it not completely healing we went onto lactose free formula because rice water doesn't give him enough nutrients. The GP said rice water was a good traditional method and to give it a go but not to stay on it long term (almost like toast in the BRAT diet and yes must be because it's binding). As it didn't completely heal him (he did get better only went 3 times a day) we took him off it because as the ladies say here, not enough nutrients, electrolytes etc. Back onto breastmilk and then lactose free for the last 5 days and he was going about 6 times a day with still brown mucus but yesterday it went down to 4 times and no poo overnight or this morning. I was going to try a different formula today (maybe ha) as we are finishing up his lactose free today but if he is getting better i will buy another tin.
    @monnie24 oh no that's def worst case scenario. Are you thinking about lactase? but that's to process lactose rather than milk protein allergy. Is your little one able to take a little dairy now on solids? i heard that even tho some babies end up not being able to take normal formula again they can take a little cheese and yogurt when they start solids.
    @SoReady - ds was previously on nan comfort and i'm hoping once he's better i can gradually bring him back to the normal formula. fx!

gp doesn't seem to be worried cos he's still got a normal appetite and sleeping well. Really nothing would appear any different other than his constant diarrhoea and brown mucus. Really hoping it's starting to mend now. Poor little guy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck Gelati. We were also using Nan comfort pre and post gastro. We used the nan lactose free but only about 2-3 days on its own then we would use one scoop of the regular comfort formula mixed with the rest lactose free in the same bottle so it was a very gradual re introduction to lactose until the lactose free tin was finished. It did take a while for DS to come good too but slow and steady as they say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are u changing formulas much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @SoReady. I hope he's on the mend too. Good to hear ds could go back to normal formula.