Gastro in 5 month old | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gastro in 5 month old

Hi all, my 5 month old son suddenly started diarrhoea one day and went 8 times that day. No fever or vomiting but gp said it was gastro. I feed bm and formula due to low supply. For a couple of days we ended up feeding rice water and breastmilk only and the diarrhoea started clearing up. Then we slowly introduced normal formula and diarrhoea came back but only 3-4 times a day. After 1 week ds was losing weight probably cos of rice water so we were told to stop rice water and move onto lactose free formula and wait for gut to heal. Now after 2.5 days on lactose free his diarrhoea is getting way worse - 6 times a day at least. How long did it take for your baby's stools to become normal again after using lactose free?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Gelati
    My 9 month old recently had gastro and we had to change her to a lactose free formula after as she just had the worst tummy. It only took a couple of days - maybe 2 or 3 at most for her tummy to return to normal so maybe wait another day and then see your doc to see what's happening. I've just changed my daughter back to a lactose formula after about 3/4 weeks on Lactose free and she seems fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @hazzyj that's what I was hoping for but ds doesn't seem to be getting better. I'll wait a few more days and see how he goes. Did you see a gradual improvement from day 1 of lactose free formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She still had a pretty runny tummy when we changed her maybe for the first half day but then gradually her poos became normal again which was such a relief as she had the worst nappy rash!! Gastro is the worst 👎🏻

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hazzyj For This Useful Post:

Gelati  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think the lactose free is working for ds then cos it's been over 3 days and he's still got diarrhoea. Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no 😪 sounds like another trip to the doc is in order. Hope it all gets sorted ASAP for you! X

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hazzyj For This Useful Post:

Gelati  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You haven't started solids yet? Pear/apples (common first foods) can be a major laxative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Stretched no haven't started solids yet. I would have by now but he's had diarrhoea for the last 2 weeks. I tried mashed banana yesterday but it didn't do anything for him so I'm holding off introducing anything new and see how this week goes. The only thing that helped him was rice water but couldn't have him on that long term as he was losing weight. So we went back onto formula but lactose free and it didn't help. His poos aren't exactly watery anymore they are quite formed but he's going 6 times a day vs once when it was normal and the colour isn't mustard and there's brown mucus through it so I know it's not normal. It was watery when he first got gastro but not watery anymore. I'm still hoping it'll get better so waiting until end of this week. He's otherwise acting normally and no change in appetite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah good idea to hold off solids til this is sorted. The brown mucous doesn't sound too good. I would definitely go back to the Dr. Hopefully bub's tummy settles down soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Please stop the rice water. I don't understand why you were told that.