+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It can be exhausting for some to go to work and care for/teach children all day then go home and do more or less the same by having your own children to look after. Especially when your children also have after school sports and weekend games and you may be asked to volunteer as a coach.
    For some it can feel like there's no time out from children, however some people love it and wouodnt have it any other way.
    Just something to consider ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I worked in the education sector previous to getting pregnant.
    First bub is 5 weeks old and there is no way I am going back.
    To me, it makes no sense (FOR ME) to have someone else minding my child while I look after someone else's child. I'd rather look after my own, so if I have to work, it won't be with kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I worked in the education sector previous to getting pregnant.
    First bub is 5 weeks old and there is no way I am going back.
    To me, it makes no sense (FOR ME) to have someone else minding my child while I look after someone else's child. I'd rather look after my own, so if I have to work, it won't be with kids.
    I'm not planning on actually working until my youngest is at school. Would you go back once your kids are at school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe78 View Post
    It can be exhausting for some to go to work and care for/teach children all day then go home and do more or less the same by having your own children to look after. Especially when your children also have after school sports and weekend games and you may be asked to volunteer as a coach.
    For some it can feel like there's no time out from children, however some people love it and wouodnt have it any other way.
    Just something to consider ☺
    I guess I feel I already have no time out from children but I think I might miss having a toddler / preschooler around when my youngest goes to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just on the idea of getting work experience before diving into any studies. I feel after 8 years out of work I have zero confidence in myself and would not be able to even approach anyone to ask about getting experience even volunteering. I'd be quite comfortable studying, prefer online but I'd do a class if I had someone to look after dd2. I feel I absolutely have to do some sort of study/training before I even think about applying for work. Some of the degrees do placements in the final year so I'm hoping I'd be ready by then. I literally wouldn't have the confidence to apply for a check out job. Being sahm for 8 years has majorly affected my self identify and self esteem. But that's a whole other novel 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My suggestion would be to address your self esteem issues first with counselling. It's hard work to study with a family. From your other posts and threads, you seem to (forgive my lack of tact) struggle with the juggle of daily life.

Add studying into that will not make your life easier. How will you do assignments and other study if you say now you have no one to watch your dd2?

I would definitely caution you starting a field of study without first trying out the work/similar work first. Otherwise you will waste both your time and money if you hate it afterwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are a few agencies out there to help people out of work for extended periods of time to get 'work ready'. Mission Australia is one. My mum used their services to upgrade her computer skills after being at home for 9years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    My suggestion would be to address your self esteem issues first with counselling. It's hard work to study with a family. From your other posts and threads, you seem to (forgive my lack of tact) struggle with the juggle of daily life.

Add studying into that will not make your life easier. How will you do assignments and other study if you say now you have no one to watch your dd2?

I would definitely caution you starting a field of study without first trying out the work/similar work first. Otherwise you will waste both your time and money if you hate it afterwards.
    I don't think counselling is the answer. I'm pretty sure my main issue is that I have nothing that's just my thing - dp has work, kids have school etc. it needs to be work or study or it gets no priority. Not sure if that makes sense. Just no point taking up a hobby as kids and house would always come first and I couldn't use childcare just for that. I'm not thinking of doing any substantive study for another year or so and by then I'll be ready for dd2 to be in daycare for a couple of days. I did some study when ds was little and I found it really helped keep my brain ticking over and was my thing that had nothing to do with house or family. I need that again but I think it needs to lead to a job eventually this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I don't think counselling is the answer. I'm pretty sure my main issue is that I have nothing that's just my thing - dp has work, kids have school etc. it needs to be work or study or it gets no priority. Not sure if that makes sense. Just no point taking up a hobby as kids and house would always come first and I couldn't use childcare just for that. I'm not thinking of doing any substantive study for another year or so and by then I'll be ready for dd2 to be in daycare for a couple of days. I did some study when ds was little and I found it really helped keep my brain ticking over and was my thing that had nothing to do with house or family. I need that again but I think it needs to lead to a job eventually this time.
    I understand 100 %.. Following as in similar spot

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I'm not planning on actually working until my youngest is at school. Would you go back once your kids are at school?
    No, probably not.
    I don't relish the thought of looking after kids all day, then coming home and doing the same.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my job, and love kids... but I need to be able to leave work at work or I will burn out.