+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    72
    Reviews
    0
    It can be exhausting for some to go to work and care for/teach children all day then go home and do more or less the same by having your own children to look after. Especially when your children also have after school sports and weekend games and you may be asked to volunteer as a coach.
    For some it can feel like there's no time out from children, however some people love it and wouodnt have it any other way.
    Just something to consider ☺

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I worked in the education sector previous to getting pregnant.
    First bub is 5 weeks old and there is no way I am going back.
    To me, it makes no sense (FOR ME) to have someone else minding my child while I look after someone else's child. I'd rather look after my own, so if I have to work, it won't be with kids.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    536
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I worked in the education sector previous to getting pregnant.
    First bub is 5 weeks old and there is no way I am going back.
    To me, it makes no sense (FOR ME) to have someone else minding my child while I look after someone else's child. I'd rather look after my own, so if I have to work, it won't be with kids.
    I'm not planning on actually working until my youngest is at school. Would you go back once your kids are at school?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    536
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe78 View Post
    It can be exhausting for some to go to work and care for/teach children all day then go home and do more or less the same by having your own children to look after. Especially when your children also have after school sports and weekend games and you may be asked to volunteer as a coach.
    For some it can feel like there's no time out from children, however some people love it and wouodnt have it any other way.
    Just something to consider ☺
    I guess I feel I already have no time out from children but I think I might miss having a toddler / preschooler around when my youngest goes to school.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    536
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just on the idea of getting work experience before diving into any studies. I feel after 8 years out of work I have zero confidence in myself and would not be able to even approach anyone to ask about getting experience even volunteering. I'd be quite comfortable studying, prefer online but I'd do a class if I had someone to look after dd2. I feel I absolutely have to do some sort of study/training before I even think about applying for work. Some of the degrees do placements in the final year so I'm hoping I'd be ready by then. I literally wouldn't have the confidence to apply for a check out job. Being sahm for 8 years has majorly affected my self identify and self esteem. But that's a whole other novel 😜

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,868
    Thanks
    5,192
    Thanked
    3,894
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My suggestion would be to address your self esteem issues first with counselling. It's hard work to study with a family. From your other posts and threads, you seem to (forgive my lack of tact) struggle with the juggle of daily life.

    Add studying into that will not make your life easier. How will you do assignments and other study if you say now you have no one to watch your dd2?

    I would definitely caution you starting a field of study without first trying out the work/similar work first. Otherwise you will waste both your time and money if you hate it afterwards.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,868
    Thanks
    5,192
    Thanked
    3,894
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are a few agencies out there to help people out of work for extended periods of time to get 'work ready'. Mission Australia is one. My mum used their services to upgrade her computer skills after being at home for 9years.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    Freyamum  (03-04-2016)

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    536
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    My suggestion would be to address your self esteem issues first with counselling. It's hard work to study with a family. From your other posts and threads, you seem to (forgive my lack of tact) struggle with the juggle of daily life.

    Add studying into that will not make your life easier. How will you do assignments and other study if you say now you have no one to watch your dd2?

    I would definitely caution you starting a field of study without first trying out the work/similar work first. Otherwise you will waste both your time and money if you hate it afterwards.
    I don't think counselling is the answer. I'm pretty sure my main issue is that I have nothing that's just my thing - dp has work, kids have school etc. it needs to be work or study or it gets no priority. Not sure if that makes sense. Just no point taking up a hobby as kids and house would always come first and I couldn't use childcare just for that. I'm not thinking of doing any substantive study for another year or so and by then I'll be ready for dd2 to be in daycare for a couple of days. I did some study when ds was little and I found it really helped keep my brain ticking over and was my thing that had nothing to do with house or family. I need that again but I think it needs to lead to a job eventually this time.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    755
    Thanks
    646
    Thanked
    257
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I don't think counselling is the answer. I'm pretty sure my main issue is that I have nothing that's just my thing - dp has work, kids have school etc. it needs to be work or study or it gets no priority. Not sure if that makes sense. Just no point taking up a hobby as kids and house would always come first and I couldn't use childcare just for that. I'm not thinking of doing any substantive study for another year or so and by then I'll be ready for dd2 to be in daycare for a couple of days. I did some study when ds was little and I found it really helped keep my brain ticking over and was my thing that had nothing to do with house or family. I need that again but I think it needs to lead to a job eventually this time.
    I understand 100 %.. Following as in similar spot

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

    Freyamum  (03-04-2016)

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I'm not planning on actually working until my youngest is at school. Would you go back once your kids are at school?
    No, probably not.
    I don't relish the thought of looking after kids all day, then coming home and doing the same.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my job, and love kids... but I need to be able to leave work at work or I will burn out.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Daycare days for almost 3yr old
    By RmumR in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-02-2016, 11:31
  2. Daycare and birthdays - what does yours do?
    By SAgirl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28-05-2015, 21:52
  3. Aggressive kids at Daycare
    By AllYouNeedIsLove in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-05-2015, 22:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!