+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default SLEEP finally :)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsIsMe View Post
    Thank you LMS I will get the book and read up on the technique. Is your little girl wrapped or unwrapped to sleep? Thanks xx
    @MrsIsMe I actually have a spare copy of the book, (I just went on the hunt for it and found it)
    if you pm your details I will post it out to you

ps Unwrapped- in a sleeping bag. They advise to stop swaddling/wrapping and also get rid of the dummy at the same time.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 03-04-2016 at 10:59.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

MrsIsMe  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are so lucky LMS - you must feel like a new woman!!!! I'm still struggling along with dS2. I'm tempted to try your method, but DS2 is not unsettled during the night. He just wakes multiple times - he is easy to resettle. I don't know. Think I'll wait until 6 months and then give it a go, just don't think I am ready yet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shebes For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope my babe learned to stand up in his cot RIGHT after he learned to self-settle. I was like nooo!!! But we just kept trying to be as consistent as possible, I would try to leave him and if his cries escalated I would go in, lie him down and pat him.
    I did a gentler method than controlled crying so if he got too upset I would cuddle and pat him and stay with him til he fell asleep, as I really wanted him to know I understood his needs and was responding to them. So it probably took a little longer!! But whichever way you do it, just try to be consistent through the milestones, through the teething, through the illness. We went on a holiday last week and he slept amazing!! I was so surprised, but I think it helped that we kept everything as consistent as possible and showed him we still expected him to self settle.

I have to admit to all you guys I was one of those people who was anti-crying, I felt it was putting mum's needs above bubs. But then I realised that I was making things worse for DS by doing any desperate thing I could do make him sleep, feeding, rocking, bouncing, confusing the hell out of him. At 6 months he started waking up so often that I was living in a fog. It wasn't good for either of us. And while letting him cry a bit felt so unnatural, it was far better than the alternative which was frustrating us both. It was such a good choice!!

Like others I did fear that I was damaging him but he wakes up so happy! I think as long as in the long-term they have a secure attachment bond with you, it can withstand a little bit of anger on their part that you aren't coming the second they call you when it's bedtime.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Fi Poledancer: I didn't know that you have to be consistent even through illness. I certainly will feel bad doing that (like ignoring him for that long using the CC timing method). Like last night, DS was so congested that he couldn't breath. He threw a big fuss because it was uncomfortable. As soon as he sneezed, he was feeling better again.

Here is the thing. He would fall back to sleep when we put the dummy back in. If he didn't, and passed midnight, time for a night feed. Most of the time, he would settle after that. To be honest, we don't think he needs the night feed anymore given that some nights he didn't even need one.

I admit that our tactic changes in the last few weeks for the night sleep. By 5am, he rarely being able to fall asleep even with the dummy. We move him to sleep on the spare bed with one of us until 7am. More like a morning cuddle. That's about 12 hrs of sleep. 5am is about 10hr.

It is getting worse and certainly gets a toll on us with the night waking because i am now returning to work.

Also, it is so difficult with the nap. Some day, he would be fine without a big fuss. LIke just now, he threw a big fuss when i put him down, I decided that he wasn't tired so picked him up for more play. Half an hour later, he went down without a minor fuss. I can deal with this nap behavior. Night sleep is just getting out of control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope sorry I didn't mean to just ignore them and let them cry even when they're sick. Definitely not!! I just meant try to be consistent as you can given the situation, rather than having to start from scratch when they're better.
    It is really tough I hope you can find a plan that works for you guys xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, don't misunderstand. Totally get what you meant. Yes, that's right. Starting from scratch isn't fun. I just wasn't sure when to start the CC training given that there is always something going on. It probably no end of his sickness given that he is now in childcare. As i mentioned earlier, we are trying to send him back to sleep school after 6 months vax and vacation. He will be 7.5m. Sigh...wish it could be earlier but then thinking he was improving.

Thanks
    Reviews

Well I knew by posting this I would jinx myself- she's still sleeping through without a peep (awesome!) but the past 4 mornings wakes early around 5/530. I leave her in the cot until 545/6 and she grizzles, sings and cries but she never puts herself back to sleep. I don't mind as such as dd1 is up by 6 (she sleeps longer if she doesn't nap). She's happy enough for the first 2 hours of wake time. I guess we are just early birds.
    I will reintroduce solids - I stopped them when sleep training as that was the advice before 6 months) to see if it makes a difference. She's not cold and we have white noise and blackout blinds.

Has anyone had success with cc for early morning wake ups? The indications on the net is that it rarely works and just results in weeks if crying with no real improvement.

Eta: I used to take dd1 for an early morning stroll and sometimes she would doze but I can't do the same with dd2 with dd1 to look after.
    My main issue with dd2s early morning wake ups is she is so tired and grizzly by 730 as she's been up for 2 hours already. I try and stretch her to 8 for her first nap but it's very difficult. It also means her naps don't line up with dd1 who goes down at 1230/1 whereas dd2 usually is due to wake from her second nap.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 05-04-2016 at 07:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't have any real advice but just wanted to say some kids are just early birds. 5:30/6 isn't so bad - but totally understand how it screws up the rest of the morning and they're tired and cranky earlier.

Where we live it's not uncommon for babies (and toddlers, and children...) to be up at 4:30am in summer. And no efforts make a lick of difference. Not even block out blinds or putting them to bed later etc.

6am even in winter would be considered a sleep in. My BFF has huge issues with her DS (always has) waking ridiculously early. After years of trying everything she has finally accepted that's it and just adjusts their family life accordingly. Not fun though.
    I hope this isn't the case for you but just wanted you to know, you've done such a great job to get the nights working, that's a huge achievement!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Don't have any real advice but just wanted to say some kids are just early birds. 5:30/6 isn't so bad - but totally understand how it screws up the rest of the morning and they're tired and cranky earlier.

Where we live it's not uncommon for babies (and toddlers, and children...) to be up at 4:30am in summer. And no efforts make a lick of difference. Not even block out blinds or putting them to bed later etc.

6am even in winter would be considered a sleep in. My BFF has huge issues with her DS (always has) waking ridiculously early. After years of trying everything she has finally accepted that's it and just adjusts their family life accordingly. Not fun though.
    I hope this isn't the case for you but just wanted you to know, you've done such a great job to get the nights working, that's a huge achievement!
    Yeah dd1 was always up around 5. Now she's older it's more like 6 (and the odd 7!!) which I'm so pleased about. I tried everything with her and she never slept longer, so not keen to waste energy fighting a losing battle again. Dd1 didn't start with the early morning wake ups until she was a year old though. Never was one of those mystical 7-7 sleepers.

I should just be grateful she now sleeps all night, hey! It's funny how when you get sleep you still aren't entirely content lol.

Eta: when I return to work I'll be up at 5am anyway. I am an early bird myself- I think I'm being a bit silly with my expectations. And these days abc2 starts at 5am, back then when dd1 was a bubs it was 6am lol.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 05-04-2016 at 08:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Hi lms. If bub is sleeping through the night that's a great start. While a 5:30am wake up isn't the end of the world, there are things you could do to help encourage bub to sleep later.

With a 5:30am wake up I wouldn't necessarily try CC - there are likely underlying causes for a 5:30am wake up and it's probably best to tackle them head on.

1. Temperature - 5:00amish is the coldest part of the day. What temp is bubs room both at bed and at 5:30am? What clothing/bedding does bub have? Many parents under estimate the amount of beddingn a bub needs. I prefer the cheats way (thermostat controlled heater).

2. Hunger - def start solids. At 6 months I don't think most bubs can be content on milk alone. Hunger is a common cause of early rising.

3. Day naps - what are bubs day naps like? Too much day sleep and bub may wake early. If the first nap is too early bub may wake early. Happy to brainstorm on this with you.
    Last edited by VicPark; 05-04-2016 at 08:38.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-04-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast