+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Medically required circumcision in pre teen.

Has anyone's DS had to have a medically required circumcision?

DS1 (10) requires one and DS2 (8) sees the Dr next week and our GP and I highly expect he will need one too.

Is it a day procedure? Are they under a general anaesthetic? How much pain will they be in once they're awake and how long off school? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother had to have one when he was around 10. Kept getting painful infections.

The procedure was under general & day procedure, went smoothly. I remember he was anxious when he woke up cause they needed him to pee before he would be discharged and he was scared it would hurt. When he finally did it was fine, little sting then normal. He's been fine ever since & that was years ago

It definitely made me wonder whether I should circumcise my DS because I remember the pain my DB went through with continued infections but I didn't do it in the end and he hasn't had any probs (I also asked my DB opinion given what he went thru but he barely remembers the problems he had...I'm much older than him & i do!). I wouldn't hesitate to do it now if needed though.

Im sure it will all go smoothly

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgoMama For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My Ds1 had his done last year. He is 8.
    Day stay but be aware it was the whole day. 8am to 5pm.
    He was under general. They made sure that he was eating and peeing and that we could change the dressing before we could leave.
    The dressing and putting the cream on was the hard part for my boy.
    He did not want anyone to touch it unless it hurt.
    Loose shorts is a must! Nothing to rub or stick.
    Getting him to shower or in the bath was bad to. But only until he was in. But it was every time.
    Recovery was quick but no running or sports for 2-3 weeks.

We are having a complicated time since but it is not common.
    The hole he pees out if is closing over. They have said it happens but not very often. Apart from that I would definitely do it again. Probably will have to with Ds2 in a few years.

Make sure you take lots of things for you both to do.
    Chargers for any electronics. Portable DVD player was a blessing.
    Good luck. It really does get better after.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Thank you so much ladies. It's quite daunting. DS1 seems in phased about the procedure, even after it was explained to him. DS2 however will be a different kettle of fish. He is very, very private.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bumping for any more experiences.