+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymum View Post
    just bumping up this topic again. Just wondering if there's any grandparents here who receive payments for helping out to look after grandkids (below age pension but unable to receive newstart allowance).

My mother helps me looking after my son, she drops him at school and picks him up from after school care. SHe doesn't work and she earns no income. I give her some pocket money (she lives with us - me, my son and my sister), but I feel like she needs a bit more support financially as well rather than relying on pocket money from me. I am living separately from my husband because he chose to work overseas since a few years ago (we're not in really good terms, but we're not quite separating, although I feel like my daily life resembles much like a single parent already).

So is there any payment for grandparents who are not quite at the Age Pension payment? She's 62, not working (and not planning to), but she helps out with caring my son up to 20 hours a week.

Did some search on Centrelink website and looks like there's no suitable payments for my mother at all
    I'm sorry but the suitable payment option is probably either find a job (not easy I understand)
    Do volunteer to qualify for a payment, speak to Centrelink herself or stick with her pocket money from u. Just because she doesn't want to work isn't a reason to get a payment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your mother is unable to work, can't she apply for newstart allowance and get a medical certificate to exempt her from meeting the work requirements? My FIL has one so he doesn't have to apply for jobs and my brother who's only in his 30's also doesn't have to due to being sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking about Newstart allowance too because she cant work due to ongoing joint problems. she will probably have no problems obtaining the medical certificate.

Although she has some medical problems, but whilst caring for my son she doesnt need to do heavy duty stuff. My almost 6 yo basically only needs to be fed and accompanied and she does that monday-friday including school drop offs (walking). I wish i could tell her to find a suitable lightweight job but I DO need her so much to help me looking after my son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She cam volunteer to meet some of her hours or become registered family day carer and claim those hours...but getting a certificate doesn't always exempt you from looking for work straighy away...they have to accept it as well amd it would only last 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldn't she do some part-time/casual babysitting work for other families then if she is physically capable of caring for your children for 20 hours per week? She could get paid $350+ per week for that!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TU4 For This Useful Post:

Evee16  (27-07-2016),Seoul  (26-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which Centrelink payment for under pension age but not looking for work nor a...

Yes Thats right, it would only last for 3 months then you still have to look for a job. Thats why i still hesitate to put her on a centrelink payment because she doesnt meet any of the requirements thus far. She doesnt work, not looking for work, not undergoing study etc etc.
    Last edited by bunnymum; 26-07-2016 at 23:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    TU4, she said herself she doesnt want to be a babysitter for other families/kids as she doesnt like handling complaints if things go wrong and whilst it is a privilige to be able to look after other people's kids, but it is a big responsibility. She speaks little English too. Haha. Looking after my son isnt easy, let alone other people's kids. She does up to 5 hrs a day mon-fri from morning school drop off, cooking then returning to school to pick up my son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've read your original first post

Have you been into Centrelink with your mum at all.

You also state that your m doesn't help with your son because of her ailments but now she does help you.

Her husband and your husband both live and work overseas.

Is her husband supporting her in anyway financially at all ?

She doesn't want to work outside of looking after your son but yet she wants money. As she either does or doesn't have joint problems which everyone gets as you get older as its part of life unfortunately.

Your husband and yourself and kind of seperated do that leaves the question to you that what type of payments are you getting from Centrelink and are you also working yourself.

Your sister also lives with you. Does she work and if so does she help your mum out ?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which Centrelink payment for under pension age but not looking for work nor a...

Yes that sums up my current situation.

I am entitled to FTB part B and I get a base rate only. Centrelink says there is no evidence yet that i am separated so they cant give me a single parent rate and in their eyes, who knows my husband is still providing me financial support (alrhough i kept saying i've left him and he never gives me money - there are times i feel like i am a perfect case of domestic money violence victim when i was together with him, sorry ouf of topic).

So centrelink assessed my FTB based on my annual income and roughly my husbands income which i know very very rough, but still provide an ample amount of income number to avoid overpayment.

Also i have visited local centrelink and the lady was like yeah theres newstart allowance and she only needed a med cert, bla bla...And was told to claim it online. I havent claimed anything yet cause newstart doesnt sound right.

Also my dad is retired back in his home country. My mum left him because she'd rather be back in australia where as my dad is quite content living there. Just like me and my husband. Like mother like daughter.
    Last edited by bunnymum; 27-07-2016 at 11:26.