Which Centrelink payment for under pension age but not looking for work nor a carer | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which Centrelink payment for under pension age but not looking for work nor a carer

I'm a bit confused choosing the right centrelink payment for my mother. My mother is basically still below the qualification age for pension payment. She's 62, still married, been a housewife throughout her entire life and is not looking for work (unable to) or to be exact she has nerves and joint problems that affects her activity on a daily basis.

She has been a permanent resident for more than 20 years and always divides her time between Australia and her hometown. My dad still lives overseas (also an Aust resident) and just recently semi-retired. So back in their hometown they are not earning full income anymore.

My mother has never claimed for any centrelink payments. I am thinking to put her on a centrelink payment as she has no income, unable to work, and gets supported financially thru us. She has no assets and no savings (years ago she had a unit she owned with my dad, but they sold it off because they were thinking of not coming back to Australia anymore).

I was gonna put her on a (grandparents) carer's payment, but she doesn't do any carers work for my son (her grandson). So really for her age, i'm finding it difficult how she can be eligible for a govt support. which type of payment would she be qualified for in her situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go in and talk to Centrelink they should be able to help

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a quick calculator on the info you gave. Pretty much health care card and low income supplement.

If she is unable to work due to medical issues has she been assessed for disability pension at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Which Centrelink payment for under pension age but not looking for work nor a...

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I did a quick calculator on the info you gave. Pretty much health care card and low income supplement.

If she is unable to work due to medical issues has she been assessed for disability pension at all?
    Disability is basically impossible to get now. Edit to add (they are removing people who are wheel chair bound etc ) from payments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To be honest I don't think she is entitled to anything . She isn't looking for work and isn't at pension age.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all! I did a quick calculations as well before posting questions in this forum and I only came up with Health Care Card and Low Income supplement as well thats why I got confused whether I wasnt able to find anything or was there any type of payments I didn't know about..., however low income supplement is only a one-off, lump sum money that you get per year though. Looking for something that can support her a bit for her day-to-day life. I think the fact that she's not at pension age and not even looking for work isn't going to get her entitled to anything.

I will pop into Centrelink and ask in person (hate the hold-on time on the phone lol)
    Last edited by bunnymum; 01-04-2016 at 19:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    New start would be her best payment but over 55 u can meet your requirements by doing volunteer work. Otherwise if she's not applying for disability support then there is nothing...other then age pension there is no payment to support you just to not do anything. And for carers allowance for payment you wouldn't get it if the child isn't in your care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    just bumping up this topic again. Just wondering if there's any grandparents here who receive payments for helping out to look after grandkids (below age pension but unable to receive newstart allowance).

My mother helps me looking after my son, she drops him at school and picks him up from after school care. SHe doesn't work and she earns no income. I give her some pocket money (she lives with us - me, my son and my sister), but I feel like she needs a bit more support financially as well rather than relying on pocket money from me. I am living separately from my husband because he chose to work overseas since a few years ago (we're not in really good terms, but we're not quite separating, although I feel like my daily life resembles much like a single parent already).

So is there any payment for grandparents who are not quite at the Age Pension payment? She's 62, not working (and not planning to), but she helps out with caring my son up to 20 hours a week.

Did some search on Centrelink website and looks like there's no suitable payments for my mother at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I send you a pm bunnymum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymum View Post
    just bumping up this topic again. Just wondering if there's any grandparents here who receive payments for helping out to look after grandkids (below age pension but unable to receive newstart allowance).

My mother helps me looking after my son, she drops him at school and picks him up from after school care. SHe doesn't work and she earns no income. I give her some pocket money (she lives with us - me, my son and my sister), but I feel like she needs a bit more support financially as well rather than relying on pocket money from me. I am living separately from my husband because he chose to work overseas since a few years ago (we're not in really good terms, but we're not quite separating, although I feel like my daily life resembles much like a single parent already).

So is there any payment for grandparents who are not quite at the Age Pension payment? She's 62, not working (and not planning to), but she helps out with caring my son up to 20 hours a week.

Did some search on Centrelink website and looks like there's no suitable payments for my mother at all
    Welfare payments aren't there to help people who won't work. Your mother needs to go and discuss her options with Centrelink.