+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I have heard people say that Australian ski holidays are as expensive as going overseas. But is that a bit of an exaggeration? Has anyone actually done research to compare?
    I think if you can get cheap flights, Japan and NZ work out cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've stayed at Jindabyne for Perisher...
    And also thredbo.

Saving tips. .. stay in Jindabyne and drive up. If in thredbo stay in cabin and self cater.
    Though some places offer accom, food, passes etc in package deals.

Borrow ski gear! As in the clothes. Our buy secondhand.

Don't buy lunch on mountain. Pack a picnic lunch etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Is Perisher or Thredbo better?

If you take the ski tube can you transport all the skis with you or do that force you into using stuff on the mountain?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I have heard people say that Australian ski holidays are as expensive as going overseas. But is that a bit of an exaggeration? Has anyone actually done research to compare?
    I'm currently doing my research but if you stay in our area - Asia, NZ etc, depending on if you stay on the mountain it's actually cheaper to go to NZ or Bali! insane huh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

If you take the ski tube can you transport all the skis with you or do that force you into using stuff on the mountain?
    How old are the kids? I rekon Perisher is better for smaller kids that haven't skiied before.

Yep you can transport all your gear up there and i think can also leave it in lockers up there if you're going a few days.

If you just want to take the kids for a few burns down the slopes and don't want to stay on snow, mount Selwyn is a budget option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aldi for ski gear or ask friends and borrow
    Go at the end of the season for cheaper accommodation. It'll still be expensive but not the crazy 1k a night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

Beginners who want to ski will enjoy Perisher better, although Thredbo has a lovely village feel.

As Pp said, stay in Jindy, you can get a self contained apartment and you'll save money.

A good time to go is shoulder season, esp if you're able to go 1 or 2 weeks away from peak.

If you're just there to see the snow, you'll save a bundle, but if you're wanting to have a proper crack at skiing, then you'll need to rent all the gear.

Aldi usually has ski supplies on sale in the lead up to the season, and it's worth a look, the quality is pretty good.

Alternatively NZ is beautiful too! Queenstown is breathtaking and not that expensive when you compare to the Aussie ski fields.

I'm jealous OP. I love skiing but haven't been since my eldest was 6months old!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    If you just want to take the kids for a few burns down the slopes and don't want to stay on snow, mount Selwyn is a budget option?
    Thank you!! I checked out Selwyn and they are SO much cheaper. Like a third of the price for lift and snow gear hire, especially if you go at certain times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes it's waaaaay cheaper. You can stay somewhere like Tumut which is actually a lovely little snow town.

We went 2 years ago for the day with 4 kids, 2 toddlers and 2 bigger kids (4 and 5). The older girls had a great time doing a lesson and then spend the day doing runs, we tooks the little tots on turns in the toboggan. If you just want to have a bit of a snow experience it's great for kids.

Bring your own food up for the day if you can, there aren't many facilities at mount Selwyn and the food isn't the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What time of year are you looking at?

My sister used to go skiing every year in the first week just outside peak season - September? It is cheaper and the snow is still good.