+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I would be quite interested in working at a preschool, but not a daycare. Is that weird? Just because my experience so far has been overworked and underpaid staff, too many children per carer. I'd love to work with babies but I couldn't bear to leave any just in bouncers or whatever while I'm changing nappies or comforting the upset one. I've only fleetingly thought of childcare considering I've been home with 3 and I still love kids, but know so little about it. If I got an early years teaching degree could I chose to go into preschools? Maybe early education is worth some proper investigation... I kinda want to explore postgraduate studies so I don't feel my previous degrees were pointless. Then if I can't find anything I'll probably look at doing that MYOB or retrain as a medical secretary or something...
    Thanks!
    My husband did middle years teaching degree 2 years ago through Latrobe university. It is a 12 month course for those with a previous degree (he did an Arts degree after high school, majoring in law, politics and business). It is an online course but he did have prac in both primary school and high school (4 weeks for each) and was required to do 2 week extensive at uni twice throughout the year. I think it has changed recently though but might be worth having a look.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    My husband did middle years teaching degree 2 years ago through Latrobe university. It is a 12 month course for those with a previous degree (he did an Arts degree after high school, majoring in law, politics and business). It is an online course but he did have prac in both primary school and high school (4 weeks for each) and was required to do 2 week extensive at uni twice throughout the year. I think it has changed recently though but might be worth having a look.
    Thanks that's interesting. Did he find a job after? How did he find the course? I really want to start something that I can do really slowly for a year or 2 then accelerate when dd2 is at preschool/ school but probably close to 50 by qualification eek! Still 20 years left to work but not sure if early childhood best at that age? But dealing with high school kids might be worse...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Family friendly studies??

He has got a job, got it through his prac (we are in the country though). We weren't too stressed about him not getting a job straight away because the need for crt workers is pretty high where we live so he would have got plenty of work that way anyway. It was pretty full on but he found the work pretty easy. He is a musician as well so never had that nervousness/lack of confidence when it came to being up in front of a class etc. They do cram a lot in to the year and the extensive weeks at uni were through the school holidays so he didn't really get a break. No regrets though, it was the right thing for us as a family.

Eta: He is currently working at a primary school (5/6 class) but the qualification means he can teach year 3 through to year 10. Because of the majors he did at uni he can also teach to year 11 and 12 but only the majors he did at uni.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 02-04-2016 at 10:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, another idea could be to start employment eg medical admin public service admin (they can sometimes have scope for part time), pathology admin etc then once you are in the door and enployed, they will train you and support you thru getting further certificates so you can then move up into different roles. Even tertiary quals. Not sure if that would be something to try?