+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    975
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Family friendly studies??

    I've been sahm for 8 years. I'm 43 now and feel scared for my future job prospects. We could afford for me to study but as well as hardly any time to research career / study options I feel I frequently find road blocks when I delve further into possible options. Eg - fieldwork placements that would require me to work full time for 2 week or more with a push to place students in remote areas; no clear indication of timetables so I could plan childcare etc... I don't want to be defeatist but it feels like industry doesn't want mums who dared to take time out to look after their kids and even finding so many obstacles to studying.
    Anyways I just wonder if anyone has any knowledge of areas of study that are genuinely flexible and manageable with family?? I have a degree and masters in psychology but latest is more than 10 years old so no longer any point pursuing a role in psychology (too competitive anyway).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    72
    Reviews
    0
    I know with working in early education centre's, majority of them will offer before/after school and holiday care at a discounted rate to staff members needing it. A few offer it for free. Which can work out if you have to open the centre early one week, so start at 7, and finish earlier so you get the afternoon with your child. They usually rotate the shifts, either every second week or weekly, so the next week you may start later, so you get the morning with your child, but finish at closing, which usually us 6 or 7. You then have the option of taking your child with you in the mornings, or getting your child picked up from school and taken to your work if working the later shift. Its helpful to try for centres that are around your childs school for this.
    For the study, i know a lot of places, like the Tafes offer it online, and you just need to find a centre in your area that will be happy to take you on for 2 weeks or so prac. Usually you will get offered some paid work at the centre after your prac, relief work is offered a bit which can be great if you want to ease yourself back into work plus its up to you when they phone you to ask if you can come in to relieve someone, if you're available or not, so it's easy to work around your child.
    The centre's do have staff meetings though, which are usually at night, but only about once a month.
    Another option may be doing book keeping/accounts for small businesses, these are sually flexible jobs, you could do the books for a few small companies from home or there are places who want the staff pays done as well as general office work and prefer someone part time or full time in the office.
    I have seen positions advertised for "school hours"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    1,425
    Thanked
    862
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you looking into studying online? I begun a Bachelor of Education when my eldest was 6 months old, studying online. I found the uni to be fairly flexible, ie. I was able to move on to second and third year subjects before completing my first and second year prac as I wasn't prepared to leave my son, though it was only for a few weeks, at such a young age. I'm not sure what areas you're interested in but if you have a look at Open Universities Australia they have an extensive range of courses on offer through many unis across the country. My degree is through Curtin in Perth while I am on the east coast and so far I've had no issues securing local placements. Studying online also gives me the flexibility to be able to fit in my uni work and work on assessments whenever I have the time as well as not missing out on time with my child and being able to still help out at his school.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

    Freyamum  (01-04-2016)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    975
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    Have you looking into studying online? I begun a Bachelor of Education when my eldest was 6 months old, studying online. I found the uni to be fairly flexible, ie. I was able to move on to second and third year subjects before completing my first and second year prac as I wasn't prepared to leave my son, though it was only for a few weeks, at such a young age. I'm not sure what areas you're interested in but if you have a look at Open Universities Australia they have an extensive range of courses on offer through many unis across the country. My degree is through Curtin in Perth while I am on the east coast and so far I've had no issues securing local placements. Studying online also gives me the flexibility to be able to fit in my uni work and work on assessments whenever I have the time as well as not missing out on time with my child and being able to still help out at his school.
    I'd love to find a suitable course online. Unfortunately the one I'm interested in - OT - contact hours in all uni's. I started looking at masters in education with counselling option but first scan through mentions placement for 50 days or something. Maybe I need to look wider.
    What will you do with your BA? Is that primary school teacher? I think an education course would have the flexibility but not sure I'm cut out to teach so probably not for me!! I can study for a few years but need to get a job at the end...

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    975
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe78 View Post
    I know with working in early education centre's, majority of them will offer before/after school and holiday care at a discounted rate to staff members needing it. A few offer it for free. Which can work out if you have to open the centre early one week, so start at 7, and finish earlier so you get the afternoon with your child. They usually rotate the shifts, either every second week or weekly, so the next week you may start later, so you get the morning with your child, but finish at closing, which usually us 6 or 7. You then have the option of taking your child with you in the mornings, or getting your child picked up from school and taken to your work if working the later shift. Its helpful to try for centres that are around your childs school for this.
    For the study, i know a lot of places, like the Tafes offer it online, and you just need to find a centre in your area that will be happy to take you on for 2 weeks or so prac. Usually you will get offered some paid work at the centre after your prac, relief work is offered a bit which can be great if you want to ease yourself back into work plus its up to you when they phone you to ask if you can come in to relieve someone, if you're available or not, so it's easy to work around your child.
    The centre's do have staff meetings though, which are usually at night, but only about once a month.
    Another option may be doing book keeping/accounts for small businesses, these are sually flexible jobs, you could do the books for a few small companies from home or there are places who want the staff pays done as well as general office work and prefer someone part time or full time in the office.
    I have seen positions advertised for "school hours"
    I would be quite interested in working at a preschool, but not a daycare. Is that weird? Just because my experience so far has been overworked and underpaid staff, too many children per carer. I'd love to work with babies but I couldn't bear to leave any just in bouncers or whatever while I'm changing nappies or comforting the upset one. I've only fleetingly thought of childcare considering I've been home with 3 and I still love kids, but know so little about it. If I got an early years teaching degree could I chose to go into preschools? Maybe early education is worth some proper investigation... I kinda want to explore postgraduate studies so I don't feel my previous degrees were pointless. Then if I can't find anything I'll probably look at doing that MYOB or retrain as a medical secretary or something...
    Thanks!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    72
    Reviews
    0
    Yes the teachers of the pre school/prep level are required to have, or be almost finishing their teaching degree, it all changed a couple of years or so ago. I see a lot of places screaming out for the teachers too as i suppose the teachers trained to teach primary school level, rather than prep/pre school or maybe they enjoy the school holiday break. Or are just happy with their current positions. Obviously it is a better pay rate than for the younger toddlers or babies too. Centre directors are another area of shortage. Good luck with it all, i know it's difficult making decisions on what to do after being out of the workforce for a while as well as juggling a family ☺

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    1,425
    Thanked
    862
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That sucks! I was hoping to begin a degree in speech therapy part time once I'm back at work but it is similar to OT, not currently offered online.

    I'm planning on teaching, at least initially. I am doing Early Childhood Education which is birth-8 years, but wouldn't work in a childcare centre unless it was the preschool room. I did my first prac in a babies room and it was horrendous! I also vowed never to put any of my kids into care until they were old enough to let me know what actually goes on, but that's another matter! I recently did a short course in teaching English as an additional language so hoping that down the line I can pick up a short stint at an international school somewhere in Asia. I also know that quite a few government departments will take on teaching graduates.

    Are there any units in the course which are offered online? I know OUA allows you to pick and choose units so perhaps you could knock a few off a degree that way until you're more able to physically attend uni?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    975
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    That sucks! I was hoping to begin a degree in speech therapy part time once I'm back at work but it is similar to OT, not currently offered online.

    I'm planning on teaching, at least initially. I am doing Early Childhood Education which is birth-8 years, but wouldn't work in a childcare centre unless it was the preschool room. I did my first prac in a babies room and it was horrendous! I also vowed never to put any of my kids into care until they were old enough to let me know what actually goes on, but that's another matter! I recently did a short course in teaching English as an additional language so hoping that down the line I can pick up a short stint at an international school somewhere in Asia. I also know that quite a few government departments will take on teaching graduates.

    Are there any units in the course which are offered online? I know OUA allows you to pick and choose units so perhaps you could knock a few off a degree that way until you're more able to physically attend uni?
    My friend is doing speech pathology online. I'll find out what uni. She does say that although it's part time and fully online it's a HUGE commitment, way more hours than she expected

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

    Tainted  (02-04-2016)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    371
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked
    188
    Reviews
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    My friend is doing speech pathology online. I'll find out what uni. She does say that although it's part time and fully online it's a HUGE commitment, way more hours than she expected
    She's possibly doing the same course as me
    I'm doing speech pathology through CSU, it's an online course. I'm actually doing the prereqs this year, hoping to get into the main course next year.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

    Tainted  (02-04-2016)

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,109
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,085
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you do end up studying online/externally, I highly recommend still arranging some daycare for your little one.

    I did my Grad Dip Ed when DD was 2 and, since I qualified for JETT, she went into daycare full time and I went back home and studied. Even then it was full on! I still needed to study at night as well. (That course had a 30pt credit load, typical full time uni is 24pts, so higher load than normal.)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-12-2015, 09:40
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-07-2015, 11:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Pea Pods Reusable Nappies
Pea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable and simple to use, Pea Pods keep your baby dry & happy. Visit our website to find your nearest stockist or order online.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!