+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mind if I join in here? I have two indoor only cats and they are my little babies, so I love to talk about them!

Cost wise, I don't think cats cost a lot to take care of. We take both of ours to the vet once a year for a general check up and to get vaccinated and wormed. It costs about $120 each for that. In between vet visits I worm every few months and also de-flea, just in case. That's pretty cheap - maybe $100 between the two of them each year. They are both registered and microchipped as it is council regulation around here, and I worry just in case they should escape one day by accident.

For food we do buy the tinned supermarket food, but we get their pellets in bulk from a rural supplier. A massive sack of it costs $50 and lasts us for months. We buy treats occasionally from the supermarket too.

We have 4 cat trees (scratching posts!) throughout the house. The cats love them, and they sharpen their claws on them and sleep on the top. We do not have any scratches on our furniture at all. We have one male and one female cat (both desexed) and neither have ever sprayed urine in the house. We have two litter boxes in a little separated room in the house and I clean it out every day. If I'm home I do it twice a day. The cats always use their trays and if they do poos it does stink for a little while but they bury it in the gravel and if you scoop the litter daily the smell quickly disappears.

We are not big travellers but will go away for weekends. If that happens we just load their food bowls up and put out extra water and they are fine when we get back! If we went away for longer than 2 days we would get a friend in to cat-sit them, just to give them some company and to clean out the litter boxes for them.

Be aware that if you have cats you will forever be playing bed tetris and more likely than not they will worm their way into your bed and always stretch out so you have no room! They also like to sit on your hands when you're on the computer, ha ha!

Honestly though, I love mine to bits and would never want to be without them. As renters we have never had any issues when we mention we have two cats but we are always up front and honest about them so I guess that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about owning a cat

Quick word of advice re pet insurance from a vet point of view. I havnt worked in Australia so I'm not that sure about how good it is etc here but when I work in the uk I recommend it to everyone. Being an indoor cat it will be at lower risk of road accidents and cat fights but a lot of the chronic or recurrent diseases that can be costly are still relevant for indoor cats, some even more so such as lower urinary tract disease as its thought to be stress linked. Although many people have happy indoor cats, studies and vet experience shows that indoor cats are more likely to have stress associated diseases (for example imagine an indoor cat sitting looking out the window at another cat wandering around HIS garden trying to mark its territory etc.)
    So just bear in mind that some cats do prefer to be outdoors and can exhibit stress related behaviours if not allowed to do so. If that happens be prepared to change your plan if possible as it may avoid cat scratching your door to pieces, peeing and pooing around house etc.
    Coming back to pet insurance, even as a vet I insured my cat when I lived in the uk with a good company and it was a good job I did as after only a year he developed diabetes which is a costly lifelong in his case condition. He has also gone on to develop kidney and bladder stones that have needed surgery and when we went to oz we decided not to take him as we are only planning to stay a few years. Luckily we have found a fosterer who is looking after him but had he not been insured we would have struggled to rehome him or afforded the vet bills now I'm not treating him myself at reduced cost. So yep I would def get insurance.
    And for me the main downside of having a cat is the constant fur everywhere. I don't allow mine upstairs for that reason as I don't want the bedding and clothes always covered. I'm covered enough at work, I prefer my home clothes to be a bit cleaner!
    Last edited by nh2489; 01-04-2016 at 13:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Quick word of advice re pet insurance from a vet point of view. I havnt worked in Australia so I'm not that sure about how good it is etc here but when I work in the uk I recommend it to everyone. Being an indoor cat it will be at lower risk of road accidents and cat fights but a lot of the chronic or recurrent diseases that can be costly are still relevant for indoor cats, some even more so such as lower urinary tract disease as its thought to be stress linked and although many people have happy indoor cats studies and vet experience shows that indoor cats are more likely to have stress associated diseases (for example imagine an indoor cat sitting looking out the window at another cat wandering around HIS garden trying to mark its territory etc.)
    So just bear in mind that some cats do prefer to be outdoors and can exhibit stress related behaviours if not allowed to do so. If that happens be prepared to change your plan if possible as it may avoid cat scratching your door to pieces, peeing and pooing around house etc.
    Coming back to pet insurance, even as a vet I insured my cat when I lived in the uk with a food company and it was a good job I did as after only a year he developed diabetes which is a costly lifelong in his case condition. He has also gone on to develop kidney and bladder stones that have needed surgery and when we went to oz we decided not to take him as we are only planning to stay a few years. Luckily we have found a fosterer who is looking after him but had he not been insured we would have struggled to rehome him or afforded the vet bills now I'm not treating him myself at reduced cost. So yep I would def get insurance.
    And for me the main downside of having a cat is the constant fur everywhere. I don't allow mine upstairs for that reason as I don't want the bedding and clothes always covered. I'm covered enough at work, I prefer my home clothes to be a bit cleaner!
    Pet insurance is overpriced in Australia and does not cover much. There have been many issues with people trying to claim and not being able to as it was rejected from the insurance company for ridiculous reasons.

So that's why I don't have it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone for your replies. We've decided to foster a cat through our local shelter first, just to make sure it's something we can commit to

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (03-04-2016),nh2489  (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Thank you so much everyone for your replies. We've decided to foster a cat through our local shelter first, just to make sure it's something we can commit to
    Great idea! Beware tho. You may end up keeping it lol.. The little blighters worm their way in. Mine's a failed foster.. Ratbag.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything has been covered really, but just want to throw my 2 cents in...

I love cats. I actually think they are really low maintenance. Our 12 year old girl recently died and we've just got 2 kittens. I'm shocked at how easy the kittens have been so far (2 weeks in). I think it's because there's 2 of them - they play fight etc and it seems to get their craziness out.

We travel a lot (mostly short camping trips, then a couple of 1 or 2 week holidays per year). We're lucky at the moment as BIL is always keen to house sit. Before he was living near us though, the PILs would come over daily to check food/water/litter, give pats and also feed our birds. This worked well with our old cat. We'll see how our new munchkins go.

We've never had pet insurance. I think it's pricey for what it is.

Good luck with your foster moggy. I could never foster, I'd keep them all!