+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have an indoor cat as he's too nervous to go out. I love him a lot BUT..

We have to cover our lovely sofa or he'll rip it to shreds.

Cleaning the litter tray SUCKS. The poo smell is way stronger than a dogs and needs daily attention.

Male cats spray to mark territory. Even if neutered.

Yes, worming and flea treatment still necessary but expensive. I don't vaccinate tho.

Max 4 days with a a neighbour feeding him. Any longer needs someone staying. We use Aussie House Sitters as no cost involved.

All in all I do love him but miss having a dog.

Lots of work for not that much in return. Mainly he is noisiest when the baby cries which drives me mad.

Anyone want a cat lol 😜

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There should be an allwormer that covers it. And no pet insurance here. Not worth it for an indoor cat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had cats all my life. Inside cats and inside/outside cats. My inside cats I didn't bother vaccinating after a few years. We currently have inside/outside cats (strictly in by 5pm til 6-7am) and we vaccinate yearly and flea monthly over warmer months, worming isn't something we've done regularly. Out of all the cats I've had I've never really had large vet bills or health problems so insurance hasn't been on my radar.
    We go away a lot. If more than a week we get someone to stay but less than a week we just get someone to come over each day and feed them, do kitty litter (which they use overnight) and lock them in overnight. They're cool with that and our cats are pretty attached to company.
    My dog passed away in January and in some ways cats are much easier pets.
    definitely invest in a good scratching post - destroyed furniture has upset me a lot over the years. Also consider the fur issue! As our cats go outside and one in particular has a dirt patch he rolls around in all day they track in a huge amount of dirt so can be quite messy. But overall they are low maintenance, entertaining, loving and cheap pets to keep in my experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cats are less needy than dogs (attention/play wise) but ours are pretty good at destroying the house!! Particularly when they were young they ran around knocking things over, scratching the furniture, peeing on any unattended material items on the ground! Much more calm now they're 5. We vaccinate yearly & worm regularly, only use flea treatment sometimes. We still have pet insurance (they're less risk of accident or infectious illness indoors but there's still many medical problems they could get eg kidneys or teeth).

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a cat once. We loved him, but I find a well trained dog easier to look after.
    Pros - you don't have to walk a cat.
    You don't have to bath a cat.
    They are cleaner.
    You don't need to play fetch for hours.
    They keep mice andcrats away.
    Cons - They scratch your furniture and claw at your carpet.
    You can't train them to stay out of rooms or off furniture/your kitchen bench etc easily. This = fur e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. I vacuumed daily to keep the house and furniture fur free.
    If they decide they want to play or eat at 3am, you'll know about it.
    They still play - our cat's favourite game was to pounce at our ankles and bite the back of them. I'd rather play fetch 😂
    Their poo STINKS! And it's in your house!! If they poo when you're out, you come home to a house that stinks of cat poo...it's not cool!
    Whilst they catch mice and rats, some like to leave dead bodies of said mice and rats for you to find. A friend of mine has a cat that catches them, keeps them alive, brings them inside the house and sets them free 😂

For us, it's a no to cats.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an indoor only cat. We vaccinate him because we go away semi regularly and put him in a cattery, and they need to be up to date with their vaccinations for that. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

Scratching posts are a must. We have three big ones in our house! But seems to be the right amount to make sure he doesn't scratch our furniture. Don't buy from a pet shop though - sooooo much cheaper to buy from eBay. You need big ones so the cat can sit up high. They like being high, makes them feel safe. The best one we have is totally covered in carpet. More expensive but also lasts better and more sturdy than the other two which are covered with rope and fluffy material.

Be prepared for a lot of cat fur though. It gets absolutely everywhere!! So investing in a few lint rollers is also a must!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience cat are fairly low maintenance once through the kitten phase (much easier and shorter than the puppy phase!). Our cat is inside and out, but only outside in the daytime. We have a litter tray, which I hate, but she only uses it occasionally at night, so tolerable. More expensive kitty litter lasts longer and is less stinky. Ours is in the laundry, and away from the rest of the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One thing to consider is how to keep the cat an indoor cat... This would mean keeping your doors and windows closed all the time. I have to keep the doors closed when I want to keep our dog out and it drives me bonkers.

Another thing to note is that you can't train a cat very well. Dogs will usually do what to ask if they are well trained. Cats will snub their noses at you and do whatever the hell they want

I think everyone else has covered the other cat ownership pros and cons!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We open our doors and windows. We have screen doors and windows though, I thought pretty much every house did? So the cat still can't get out even if a window or external door is open. I wouldn't want to leave any door or window open to the outside without a screen, bugs would get in! That reminds me though - in our old house, our screen doors were fly wire and our cat used to like to climb them, and ripped them out a few times. So now in this house our screen doors are metal - our cat can't climb these but even if he could they wouldn't rip out

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about owning a cat

I have a cat that's now 13. As he's gotten older he's becoming more and more difficult - he pees all over my house for seemingly no reason (vet can't find anything wrong..), and now refuses to stay inside. He was a strictly indoor cat for years but when we moved and bought new furniture he started destroying the house. We started letting him outside here and there but as years have gone by he demands to be outside all the time. He can be really difficult to manage as he scratches and carries on at all the doors for literally hours to be let out! Sometimes all night long, and when outside he fights. We can't win with whatever we do.

We are never getting another cat when this one's gone - they can be either super easy or really hard to keep. I think it's down to temperament of the cat. Either get a purebreed that has a predictable temperament or an older cat that you can tell what it will be like. Ours is a moggy that I got as a kitten and he's not friendly. Just a warning! They're not always easy. My dog is far easier to manage.