+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Will try this again in the weekend.

He did up a 'reward' (as in to catch a 'baddie') poster a few weeks back where he tried to spell or ask me for guidance on spelling, so might have to do another one of rose up. He quite liked that.
    Always ask him to read what's he's written back to you, it gives a good indication of whether his output has matched his intention. Fwiw I think he's doing ok. Hard to tell because it's copied but I'd be interested to see you post a pic of some independent writing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

misho  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Hey primary school teachers, help me out

Thanks.

So yes, we moved from WA back to NSW and that I believe is where the disconnect lies. They didn't even start writing sentences last year although they did discuss punctuation etc. Rather it was focused on letter formation comprehension and some sight words.

ETA: this was the equivalent of nsw kindy (pre primary in wa).
    Out of curiosity, I went and found my daughter's book from 2 years ago when she was in kindy.

This was an independent task and the teacher marked that she was "working towards" the learning goal of writing more than 2 ideas.

ETA - just realised this is the first week of year 1 because of the date and she had the same teacher that she had in kindy for the first two weeks last year but still, she did this independently even though it needs a lot of work.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1459421394.932037.jpg
    Last edited by BigRedV; 31-03-2016 at 20:56.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

misho  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Out of curiosity, I went and found my daughter's book from 2 years ago when she was in kindy.

This was an independent task and the teacher marked that she was "working towards" the learning goal of writing more than 2 ideas.

ETA - just realised this is the first week of year 1 because of the date and she had the same teacher that she had in kindy for the first two weeks last year but still, she did this independently even though it needs a lot of work.

Attachment 79852
    I think probably the other students do this, and perhaps he does in class - but just not at home as he gets th RR homework instead.

Thanks for that. I'll definitely start this sort of stuff with him this weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the replies.

We do bingo etc, but never the less, after the sentence and 2 x readers, those games aren't as fun.

No matter, I do think he's improving, he's at 200% better than where he was at the beginning of the term.

We'll keep persisting.

We've had a meeting with the teacher and am in contact as much as I can be without being a pain in the ...

Quite looking forward to being the class helper tomorrow to see how he goes. He isn't a dum.b kid, he just, like lots of other boys, probably struggles with having to sit and write for long periods of the day.

Quiet weekend this weekend and so the sight word games will come in handy.

Appreciate all the responses. Thanks so much.
    Of course he's not dum.b His handwritinf is really lovely, & (9?) weeks in to a new school, I'm sure he sounds like he is making good progress. Honestly it sounds like the WA school just didnt teach reading or writing at the level they are supposed to in the National Curriculum. Im with BRV on this one the NC was meant to make sure all schools were teaching the same content, & some schools were 'supposed' to lift their game. It's really frustrating to hear of thr low standards of education in the WA school, although not suprising,when in previous threads hubbers have mentioned that kids are often forced to go to school st age 4 in wa & are not allowed to wait until they are 5 - so it makes sense that some schools are not teaching reading and writing well to 4 year olds. Im sure your boy will catch up to his grade, you, & his school are concerned enough to help him out which makes all the difference

ETA - ironic to be talking about writing skills & I can see lots of typos ^^. My fingers must be getting too chubby to type
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 31-03-2016 at 21:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok now I'm freaking out my 4yo in kinder is meant to be doing more!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This is what is frustrating. I thought the national curriculum was supposed to help with things like moving interstate. Seems expectation and content are still different everywhere.
    Ok so this is just my opinion, and he is my 1st child to go to school so I have nothing to compare to, but I actually preferred the school we were at last year.

Sure, academically just from what I've mentioned here, it's obvious that they didn't do as much. But the kids were so, so much happier at that school. They did so much science work, Italian classes, music classes, computer sessions, all with different teachers - not just their class kindy teacher. So I guess this all detracted from the time they spent on just literacy and numeracy to a certain extent.

Every time I went to help out, all the kids were happy, attentive, generally well-behaved and engaged.

At this school, I see its soooooo focussed on literacy & numeracy. He never mentions that they do anything else except (to use his words) 'all we do is sit and write, there are no activities to do'. They still did a lot of play-based learning last year, and I know the kindy at the Sydney school does not (best friends kid is in the Sydney kindy).

I don't know if it's the right/fair thing to do, but I compared the WA schools naplan results with the Sydney's schools results and honestly, they weren't that different for year 3, I can't remember exactly but they were virtually on par. I don't know if it's good to compare though.

Anyways, I'm not a teacher and I don't profess to know everything but as a measure of a good school, I certainly 'enjoyed' the school last year a lot more.

But yes, I agree on the national curriculum and it certainly has been a steep learning curve for us.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not a teacher like I said and totally misread your question as I thought you meant the handwriting not the content.

This is from my daughter at the end of prep last year, free imaginative writing in class, spelling is pretty bad and her handwriting certainly not perfect but thought you might want to see a sample. I don't believe my sons writing in year 1 in terms of content was that great at the start but as the year progressed and they started with persuasive writing tasks and writers workshops etc he started to improve and now quite enjoys it but it didn't come easily and naturally like with my DD but his spelling is better - they are all so different

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1459423033.881463.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Ok now I'm freaking out my 4yo in kinder is meant to be doing more!
    But your kinder is different (in Victoria) to Sydney kindy.

Kinder for you, is the year before prep, right?

Where as Sydney kindy is prep for Melbourne.

Talk about confusing, between kindy, prep, pre primary, reception, you'd think we could standardise the names of the first year of full time school nationally!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'm not a teacher like I said and totally misread your question as I thought you meant the handwriting not the content.

This is from my daughter at the end of prep last year, free imaginative writing in class, spelling is pretty bad and her handwriting certainly not perfect but thought you might want to see a sample. I don't believe my sons writing in year 1 in terms of content was that great at the start but as the year progressed and they started with persuasive writing tasks and writers workshops etc he started to improve and now quite enjoys it but it didn't come easily and naturally like with my DD but his spelling is better - they are all so different

Attachment 79853
    I meant the handwriting actually, but I'm very interested in the persuasive writing tasks now, because I didn't even know they did this - as I said - I've been given no direction from the school. I didn't even know where he was at until week 5 of this term!

I'm clueing on fast!!!

Btw, your little girl has very neat writing!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Persuasive writing is only in National Curriculum from year 2 I thought??
    @misho did you know the national curriculum documents can be accessed online? You can also find some work samples for different standards of you are interested.

And I'll repeat myself because it's really true - I do think he has lovely writing :-)