+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    If he's copying from the blue writing then the teacher needs a grammar lesson.
    He chose the sentence, otherwise I'd agree with u.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

babyla  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is 'copied writing' instead of what a grade 1 would usually be doing - their own independent writing. At my school, it would be rare for a child to still require copied writing past the 2nd term of prep (but some do still need it).

Could you ask to meet with his teacher & ask her to provide you with help as to what you could be doing with him at home & during the holidays to help him? I taught prep, & those early independent writing stages are tricky to get started, but usually develop really well with a bit of guidance.

I would sit with him & ask him to write a sentence, maybe the favourite part of his day. For example, 'I had fun on the playground'. Then ask him to write the sentence down & talk him through it, try & get it to come from him & not you. Eg, "what is the first word you need to write? (Repeat the sentence back to him. A few times if he needs. Emphasise the I.) When he writes the I, go on. "What is the next word? I HAD fun on the playground". Ask him to sound out had. "What is the first sound you hear in HAD? Write the first sound. What is the next sound?" Etc & on. Its hard work to get started, & he has to be able to hear and know how to write the single sounds - if he doesnt, you would have to take a step back and teach them to him first. Good luck, it sounds like the school is helping him out,but dont be afraid to ask for more communication!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    He chose the sentence, otherwise I'd agree with u.
    Sorry I did just read that further down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    They do more than that but he is still catching up. Until reading recovery finishes, this is his homework.
    I'm just going by what you posted and that sentence is not year 1, it is basic. Not sure which state you're in but by the end of the first year of school (kindy in NSW) children are expected to complete cluster 4 on the literacy continuum and cluster 4 states that children should be able to write "one or more simple sentences with some words spelt correctly and evidence of punctuation."

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hey primary school teachers, help me out

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm just going by what you posted and that sentence is not year 1, it is basic. Not sure which state you're in but by the end of the first year of school (kindy in NSW) children are expected to complete cluster 4 on the literacy continuum and cluster 4 states that children should be able to write "one or more simple sentences with some words spelt correctly and evidence of punctuation."
    Thanks.

So yes, we moved from WA back to NSW and that I believe is where the disconnect lies. They didn't even start writing sentences last year although they did discuss punctuation etc. Rather it was focused on letter formation comprehension and some sight words.

ETA: this was the equivalent of nsw kindy (pre primary in wa).

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ah, to clarify my comment I was talking about the appearance of the writing, which I think is fine.

As others have said, I think it's hard to tell from this example because it's in a highly structured 1:1 setting. Reading recovery is generally only successful with support from home with the nightly tasks, so it's great that you are supporting your son's learning so diligently!

There are heaps of games like bingo etc if you google something like 'dolch sight word games activities' which may ease the monotony a bit :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could he have a go at writing that sentence without the modelling OP? I would ask him to write a random sentence without modelling and see how he goes, after a story eg: I liked it when they walked to the shops.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.

We do bingo etc, but never the less, after the sentence and 2 x readers, those games aren't as fun.

No matter, I do think he's improving, he's at 200% better than where he was at the beginning of the term.

We'll keep persisting.

We've had a meeting with the teacher and am in contact as much as I can be without being a pain in the ...

Quite looking forward to being the class helper tomorrow to see how he goes. He isn't a dum.b kid, he just, like lots of other boys, probably struggles with having to sit and write for long periods of the day.

Quiet weekend this weekend and so the sight word games will come in handy.

Appreciate all the responses. Thanks so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Could he have a go at writing that sentence without the modelling OP? I would ask him to write a random sentence without modelling and see how he goes, after a story eg: I liked it when they walked to the shops.
    Will try this again in the weekend.

He did up a 'reward' (as in to catch a 'baddie') poster a few weeks back where he tried to spell or ask me for guidance on spelling, so might have to do another one of rose up. He quite liked that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks.

So yes, we moved from WA back to NSW and that I believe is where the disconnect lies. They didn't even start writing sentences last year although they did discuss punctuation etc. Rather it was focused on letter formation comprehension and some sight words.

ETA: this was the equivalent of nsw kindy (pre primary in wa).
    This is what is frustrating. I thought the national curriculum was supposed to help with things like moving interstate. Seems expectation and content are still different everywhere.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (31-03-2016)