+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sick with exact listeriosis symptoms

Wondering if anyone has been in the same position?

I'm 18 weeks and last night experienced hours worth of projectile vomiting, followed by chills and shakes, a temp of 38.5 and aches and pains (mainly backache, headache and neck ache).

Today these symptoms have eased but I cannot shake the worry of being exposed to Listeria (or perhaps salmonella). Whilst I haven't eaten any very high risk foods, I've still had some things that aren't perfectly OK (unwashed salads at dinners parties, salads with feta/goats cheese in it where I couldn't be certain if it was pasteurised, runny egg).

I can't find any information on how long the symptoms usually last for, but do know the incubation period is up to 90 days so I will be worrying about this until my baby is born.

I called my ob's office this morning for some reassurance. He is away unfortunately and his secretary simply said not to worry about it, sounds like a tummy bug or virus and drink lots of fluids etc etc.

So I'm contemplating going to my GP
    and insisting on being tested. I know listeriosis is uncommon in Australia but that doesn't make me feel any better. The consequences on Bub are horrible.

Does anyone have any experience with actually getting tested? I'm sensing dr's are pretty reluctant to do so...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no experience with it but I would suggest calling the home Doctor service or even calling your maternity ward to see what they think.
    All the best, I hope it's just a harmless bug.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It could be any number of things. There is a lot of gastro going around. See a GP tomorrow. Ask to be tested because it will ease your worry a bit. But I would think it would be gastro to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. I ended up calling health direct hoping for some reassurance and instead got judgement about eating those things in the first place. Um, it was eat that or eat oysters and chilled prawns!! I chose the safest options I could. Anyway, I'll go see my GP tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Most likely gastro. Then if it's not gastro it's probably salmonella, which sucks for you but shouldn't hurt the baby. Listeria really isn't common here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    sounds like a nasty virus or food poisoning! I'd get tested if it brings you peace of mind. insist on it if you must. hopefully it's nothing serious and it passes and you're feeling better ASAP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't hurt to go to GP. Better safe than sorry. Although they usually want a stool sample for testing of tummy bugs - FYI.

If it were something more serious you would be sick for a lot longer and vomiting constantly.

As others have said its most likely a gastro bug, which is pretty harmless as long as you're hydrated etc plenty of pregnant women get gastro it's so common. Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just out of interest, I don't think you can buy unpasteurised cheese in Australia full stop. So I wouldn't worry about the cheese!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Just out of interest, I don't think you can buy unpasteurised cheese in Australia full stop. So I wouldn't worry about the cheese!
    It's about the bacteria - soft cheeses like brie are more prone to bacteria growth.

There was a listeria outbreak in Australia a few years ago traced back to a particular brand of Brie.

OP, I would head off to the GP to express your concerns and see if they think further testing is warranted. Listeria is considered pretty rare, so chances are it's some unrelated virus.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (01-04-2016)