+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default OB recommendations or Public hospital for CS

Hi just wondering if anyone can recommend an easy to deal with OB that can allow me to have elective CS, this is my 2nd pregnancy after 8years and my 1st is also CS due to breech and had it overseas.I'm new to this system as we are new here as well.We have medicare and a Private Health Insurance too,but I would prefer to go public because of out of pocket expenses in PHI no budget for that, I appreciate if you can help me with this.Thanks in advance.I live here in Perth, WA. If OB names are not allowed to post here pls PM me.Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you have already had a CS birth then the public hospitals there will give you the choice of CS or VBAC. Not all private OBs support VBAC, but all will offer a repeat CS if that is what you prefer. So if you want a CS again, whichever way you go you should not have any issues getting one.

I had my bubs in WA, but not Perth. I believe the Perth public hospitals are pretty strict on you needing to live in their 'zone'. I would call around and see which one/s you can get into.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

honeyMommy  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi HM, I think it would be similar in WA but where I am in Sydney, if you chose to go public, you go to the hospital that you are zoned for. If you are low risk then you generally go into their midwife program and do not get a choice of OB. My local also doesn't do elective C sections

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

honeyMommy  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not in Perth, but my first baby was a c/sect and the last 3 babies vbac and each and every time I have been asked did I want an elective c/section (I was public), so I think you'll have no problem requesting a repeat c/section if you go public.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

honeyMommy  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Where in WA are you? North or south?

Thanks
    Reviews
    In Perth, you have to go to your "local" hospital if you go public, which means the hospital you are zoned to, unless you are classed as high risk in which case you are likely treated at King Edward or possible the other down south (can't remember what it's called) I guess depending on where you live. That means your choice is limited in that sense. You should speak directly with that hospital's maternal clinic about your options re CS. If you're not happy with that hospital you're only other option (unless you're willing to move) is to go private in which case you will pretty much always be able to chose to have a CS. Everyone I know in private who wanted a CS pretty much could have one no questions asked. It's like 'I prefer having a CS' 'ok no problem, we'll pencil you in on X and see how we go'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Where in WA are you? North or south?
    I live here in the south, Zoning says on Rockingham hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all you reply.I will have my first appointment with my OB this coming monday and have a list of questions to ask, hopefully she will not get annoyed at me.thanks heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Public doesn't allow elective Cs but if you've had a Cs for whatever reason u can elect to have another public.... One prob though is the semi elective ones are where the learners start! So if u do have a chance to go private and get an experienced ob do so, some will discount fees for second Bub esp as Cs since that's nice and fast for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by honeyMommy View Post
    I live here in the south, Zoning says on Rockingham hospital.
    I believe it is quite good there now it is fully renovated. DD had her surgery there 4 years ago and we were very happy with the childrens ward.

It's still not a huge hospital so I think only 4 Obs deliver there and some have private consulting rooms outside the hospital where you can also see them beyond the standard hospital appointments. Do you know if the Ob you are seeing delivers there?

Definitely chat to them as things seem to work a little differently in the smaller WA hospitals than in the big Perth ones (eg. At mine, my OB could book me in for an elective CS as a public patient on his surgery days.)