+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Not sure why that would be a problem as it's taught in school.
    He is teaching 8 or 9 year olds. I thought they taught it earlier.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi freyamum, honestly, just do what you need to do to get through the day. There is no need to worry about using the tv too much. Every interaction with children, infants, is learning, and it is all important. If you have a worry, then maybe just make one day a no tv day, or set a time for one other activity that means the tv is off. I don't think you are doing any harm. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you need the TV then use it @Freyamum. Otherwise just turn it off.

In our house TV is used for 15-30min in the morning after the big Kids are dressed for the day. And then 10-30min in the afternoon for big kids to chill after school/daycare. They also watch TV if I'm sleeping or resting.

I have the radio on when I'm home tho for noise pollution. I have my middle child (3.5yo) and my baby home FT.

I understand my circumstances are different as my kids are happy being independent for the most part. Dd2 has just worked from her nap and playing with blocks quietly as dd3 sleeps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi freyamum, honestly, just do what you need to do to get through the day. There is no need to worry about using the tv too much. Every interaction with children, infants, is learning, and it is all important. If you have a worry, then maybe just make one day a no tv day, or set a time for one other activity that means the tv is off. I don't think you are doing any harm. marie.
    Thanks. I was just having one of those silly panic moments because we'd just done drop off and I really wanted a few mins for coffee and my first reaction was please watch tv... After coffee we painted and managed 3 loads of washing and she didn't even need tv while I made dinner. It's up and down. But she's also been sick and clingy so we've been home more. 24/7 gets a bit much. Not ready to ditch tv after all he he

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    He is teaching 8 or 9 year olds. I thought they taught it earlier.
    Interesting. My kids all learnt it in year 1 (so by 6 yo).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our tv is on abc kids all day. When he was that age he loved tv. He had free access. Then as he grew his interests grew and tv is just another thing to do. Probably only watched an hour or so a day now. Don't beat yourself up. Long live the tv!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Nothing wrong with a bit of TV if you need it. As long as your kids are watching age appropriate programs. I was reading before kindy thanks to Sesame Street. If TV allows you to have a coffee that's a bonus. It TV stops you from doing other things you really want to do then it's a problem.

In summary - God bless TV.!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Nothing wrong with a bit of TV if you need it. As long as your kids are watching age appropriate programs. I was reading before kindy thanks to Sesame Street. If TV allows you to have a coffee that's a bonus. It TV stops you from doing other things you really want to do then it's a problem.

In summary - God bless TV.!
    So the walking dead is not appropriate? Darn! Wanted to teach my kiddo on how to survive the zombie apocalypse lol.

In all seriousness, some of the shows for kids are actually pretty cool, somewhat interactive and educational.

But your last sentence is so so true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do what you need to to get threw the day. It sounds like you do heaps with your dd don't feel guilty. Everything in moderation.