+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help me kick the tv habit! Kids not mine...

She's watching peppa pig as I type. She's 22 months and with 2 older kids, issues with Dp and no family here I've used tv as a crutch to help me cope. Now she points to her highchair in the morning to watch while I make kids lunch and my breakfast. I didn't have time for coffee this morning so I put on the tv... Almost always need it on to make dinner... I don't have anything against tv in moderation but I feel like she will not play independently at all unless it's tv! Otherwise she wants me involved and I do play with her heaps, we do playgroup, parks, puzzles, painting, outside play, play dates etc. she's fantastic gross motor skills and language skills are taking off. I have zero concerns over her development I just want her to watch less tv or just me not use it as my go to when I want a break or need to do anything around the house...
    We don't use cc yet and she only does short naps in car, goes to bed around 8.30/9 and is a complete boobie monster so I think this is a factor in me seeking breaks from her during the day!!
    Ha ha as I type she's given up on peppa and is pushing me back to sofa to watch with her... Maybe it's not tv that's the issue but me feeling burnt out with her needing my attention 100% of the time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use too much tv. And DS never played independently. He honestly did not start until maybe 2 months ago (he just turned 3). I find that I spend time watching and giggling at all his play and games atm though.

I find it hard to play with DS. I find it hard to spend 100% of time with him too. So I do understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have kids myself, but I'm just wondering if your DD might like to listen to stories on CD? Years ago we used to have them, and there was usually a little picture book that came with them so we could 'read along' with the story. My Mother says we all used to love them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

I'm not sure what you do to be honest. My eldest only wanted me when she was that age. I had to play with her or she too wanted tv. As she got a bit older I'd tell her I'd play with her until the big hand on the clock was on X number then she had to let mummy do other things. She'd still play for a bit then want tv again. So we'd go for a walk or something.

It didn't change until she was actually old enough to enjoy playing alone.

The upside was she can tell the time brilliantly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I don't have kids myself, but I'm just wondering if your DD might like to listen to stories on CD? Years ago we used to have them, and there was usually a little picture book that came with them so we could 'read along' with the story. My Mother says we all used to love them.
    Can try this one http://disneystorycentral.com

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is also 22 months & I admit I do use the TV a lot especially in the mornings when he is up before 6.

But I do try & have music of all his favourite caricatures playing during the day & we both just sing & dance along with it while I am getting work done.

Thanks
    Reviews

My TV is on all day. Always has been. My dd1 is fine- apart from all the Americanisms she's picked up.

She's 3 and still mostly very dependant on my interaction but can tolerate small times when I tell her I need to do xyz. It took an hour to wash up this morning as she interrupted me a zillion times needing help or assistance with something.

Such is life with little ones with no other little kids to amuse them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    As she got a bit older I'd tell her I'd play with her until the big hand on the clock was on X number then she had to let mummy do other things. She'd still play for a bit then want tv again. So we'd go for a walk or something.

It didn't change until she was actually old enough to enjoy playing alone.

The upside was she can tell the time brilliantly!
    I have started to do the time thing. DS is 3 and can recognize all the numbers 90% of the time. So we do lots of 'play until big hand is on x number and little hand is on x number' and he seems to respond quite well.

I also have the sneaky plan to teach DS how to read analog clocks as a teacher friend scared me by saying kids could not read analog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also if it makes you feel better today is a tv day. As in I planned it that way.

I am tired , pregnant, hormonal and cranky so it just seems like the best idea for us to get through the day.

So far Toy Story 2 and Planes Fire and Rescue have been watched. We are now watching Planes. We had a break before to make muffins. We might go for a walk this afternoon. Feed some ducks and turtles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I also have the sneaky plan to teach DS how to read analog clocks as a teacher friend scared me by saying kids could not read analog.
    Not sure why that would be a problem as it's taught in school.