+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Suffering from acid reflux and nausea please help!!

I only just got my BFP 4 days ago and I am 4 weeks. I was suffering from chronic nausea and acid reflux before I fell pregnant and was losing weight already but slowly. The past 2 days I lost another 2kg due to even more nausea. I also have a fear of vomiting which is stopping me from eating also. I have been feeling so down and I am so scared that I will harm the baby and myself by losing more weight. I'm already underweight as it is. I am reading into everything and it's making me so anxious and depressed. What should I do? I am currently on zofran for nausea and Zantac for acid reflux I really don't think there's anything else the docs can give me to help.. I just want to eat normally and gain weight for my baby..

Also has anyone taken zofran and it stopped working after a few weeks??

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are some other drugs probably need to see an ob, zoffran is the main one but there are a few things they can suggest as combo for bad ms....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found zofran great for reducing vomiting but not so great for nausea. Restavit was great for managing the nausea - it's actually an over the counter sleep aid but is one of the primary medications prescribed for hyperemesis gravidarum (extreme morning sickness). Perhaps talk to your doctor about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You should definitely see an OB as everyone's situation is different.

BUT my is sister suffered with hyperemesis gravidium with both pregnancies. She spent 7-8 months in hospital, nil by mouth, oral fluids and IV Zofran. It took a terrible toll on her body and she lost on average 25-30kgs each pregnancy. She gave birth to two healthy babies of around 6 pounds - not huge but ok.

I guess what I'm saying is please try not to worry about your baby and seek further medical help to get it under control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow 7-8 months in hospital?? 😱

I am finding zofran is sort of managing my nausea but only just..

I also have a almost 3 year old that I have to take to and from day care and look after so drowsy meds are a no no.

I think I am reading into too much and not going with the flow, I know nausea and vomiting is considered normal for pregnancies but I am one person that doesn't take nausea and vomiting well at all.. With me previous pregnancies it was so blissful 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Her pregnancies were definitely not the norm. I think the only reason she had a second child is because her OB said it might not happen again. She started vomiting within 24 hours of conceiving poor thing! She had her tubes tied when they delivered by caesarian.

Nausea is definitely 'normal' but it sucks. I'm almost 19 weeks and no respite from it yet - so big hugs it sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittykatty1987 View Post
    I also have a almost 3 year old that I have to take to and from day care and look after so drowsy meds are a no no.
    😞
    Most who take restavit only take a quarter/half tablet so there isn't necessarily a drowsiness impact (it didn't impact upon my ability to care for my two year old - the nausea and vomiting was worse!).
    I lost over 10% of my body weight each pregnancy in the first trimester even with medication and Iv fluids but both times have had healthy 3.6kg babies. The baby always takes priority so the doctors always told me that bub would get the nutrients it needed.
    I know you're worried about vomiting but typically I felt worse with a completely empty stomach so it might be worth trying small amounts of food. As disgusting as it sounds I learnt to eat foods that weren't horrible to vomit up (soft, not acidic etc).
    Hopefully it eases for you soon! Definitely keep talking to your doctor about medication options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and if you keep taking zofran you might want to consider also taking something for constipation as that's a main side effect (especially if your fibre intake is low). Constipation will make any nausea so much worse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Zofran only worked for me twice. I had to take prednisolone until 36 weeks. It gave me my life back and worked very quickly. Ask your on about this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies, there's so many options out there and so many women who go through the same and even worst than I am, it does make me feel better. I am definitely taking down all these med names to ask my doctors about tomorrow!
    Hopefully we all feel better soon, I feel like I'm losing my mind day after day and I haven't been able to spend time with my toddler like I used to 😞