+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It depends on the schools, really...but based in my area it would be public school and less work without a doubt. Not just to be home in the afternoon, but to be able to have the flexibility to attend things...like assemblies when your child is getting an award, Easter Hat parades, reading in class etc etc. School has so much that involves the parents. Plus, having that one day means you get to meet the other parents...which is nice because you don't have to wonder if it's okay for your child to have a playdate. And as a bonus...I have such great friends that are fellow school mums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies - i guess we progress with both and make the call closer to the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    F as I want to send kids private but I have no idea how we could afford it even if I went back to work.

😱😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask what she wants...but i think coming home to relax is what most schooled children need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on what the local public schools are like. If they are of poor quality then I'd go back full time to pay for private schooling but if the public schools were decent then I'd use public and work part time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As said above- depends on schools.

As somone who went to a top private school and seen how much my parents sacrificed and worked extra hard so i could,i missed out on a lot of time with them that i feel wasnt worth it in the end so i wont be sending my kids to private school. Fortunately we have a great public system here and i want to be there more for my girls for drop offs pickups, and everything else. I volunteer in the classroom 2/3 times a week and my daughters happiness when she sees me helping out is priceless.
    I get that its not possible with all families- dont get me wrong. But for our family and knowing how much i missed out on my parents being there because they worked so hard for my schooling i would rather sacrifice private schooling for public so i could be there for them more.
    But ultimately its your decision and you know whats best for your family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unless I really thought a particular private school was perfect for my child, I'd go public for sure. There's no way I'd work longer hours purely to send my child to a private school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Private school or mum at home?

If it were up to my kids, they would choose after school care every day lol! They absolutely love it. It's not like they are sitting doing work. They're playing outside on the school playground, in the trees, on the basketball courts, doing craft inside or games. It's like a big play date.

My daughter is in year 2 and I've worked 3 days a week since she started school and every year she asks me when she can go to after school care every day. Now my son has started school he asks the same question.

I think meeting other school parents is important and I love chatting with other mums on the days I don't work. Plus I love helping out. I'm on the P&C and so there's a lot if behind the scenes stuff for that.

Another factor I would consider is distance from home. Being close to home and school makes a big difference. I wouldn't choose a school so far away and where the children live in all different directions. I used to have to catch 2 buses and a train to and from school and I hated it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I worked full time for the first four years of DS's school life (until DD got sick), and I actually wish I had been able to stay at home. I missed out on being involved in a lot of school things and I would've liked to be able to pick him up from school.