Private school or mum at home? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private school or mum at home?

So my dd starts kindy next year, for the first few months I will be at home on mat leave. Thinking ahead to when I come back to work in q2 next year... My plan was to work 4 days, but if I go back ft it means we can comfortably send her to a private school.
    On one hand I feel it would be nice for her to have a day when there was no after school care and she could come home and relax with me.
    On the other, it's a small sacrifice for a few years until both kids are in school and then I can drop my hours.

What would you do and why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It would depend on what the schools were like in my area and your reasons for wanting a private school. Private school does not automatically mean better than state school.

I have found that is good to have some flexibility with work hours when kids start school especially in the early primary years. The schools are always crying out for volunteers to help in the classroom, plus schools seem to always schedule things in school hours the parents are expected to attend eg special assembly, class performances at the end of term, an afternoon to come and admire your child's work etc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my DD in a public 3 year old kinder, then swapped her to a private kinder the year after, and my experience was that the private school was pretty amazing. It tends to get people very upset when you say things like that, but it's really not that a public school is bad, or that the teachers are bad, but there is a reason why you are paying a lot of money to send your kids to a private school. The level of attention that the kids get at this particular private kinder is second to none. The class size was far smaller, the facilities nicer and they had access to the junior and senior schools facilities also which included a huge library, music room, art room and sports fields. I regularly had informal chats to her teachers where they would ask me what my DD was currently interested in (for example, dinosaurs) then a week later I'd find out they had planned a whole lesson around dinosaurs just for her. She absolutely blossomed there. If I didn't have the money to send her to a private school then obviously she would have a lovely time at the local kinder, but honestly, the private kinder is quite special. As far as having to put her in After care for an extra day, well I guess that's only a call you can make, it's a tough one!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Private school or mum at home?

I went back to work so we could send DS to a good private school - I'm only part time though and since DS has started school ( 8 weeks ago ) we've already had 3 x P and F meetings, mothers breakfast, parent teacher interview, Easter hat parade and a fun run all during work hours! It's such an amazing school and we couldn't be happier and DS loves it
    Out of the 19 kids in DS kindy class there are only 2 SAHM and most of the other mums work full time so there are only a handful of parents at most of these events anyway , so if your employer is flexible and you could take the occasional hour or two off to attend these things would be ideal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Not sure - depends on the schools involved. I know it's difficult letting go of that extra time off with the kids however with something such as specific schools I would try to look at what's better for my kids in the log run (eg 3 years from now as opposed to next year).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do have to second that, I'm a SAHM but even I find it tricky to go to all of the things. We've had 2 parent teacher interviews, an out of school excursion, a kinder picnic, a few parent social events (I haven't gone to all of them), a couple of school assemblies and an easter bonnet parade.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go public school and have the time with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it meant a bit less time in after school care and not having to go every single day, I'd probably send her to the public school if it was me. Maybe save up for private high school?

Totally depends on the differences between the schools but if it was me, and the public primary is ok, I'd rather the extra time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls used to go to an amazing State school then we moved and the public school in our catchment is terrible. We will be moving back to our old neighbourhood at the end of the year as I want my kids back in that school. I don't necessarily think private is better but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on your local schools. I am fortunate that the local public school is fantastic, it has wonderful staff, great programs and facilities. The only local private school is the one I attended, it is religious and I would never send my child to a religious school until they were old enough to reach their own conclusions which made the choice easy.

For me, I think having a parent at home and not having a young child attend after school care after spending a full day at school is ideal. Some of my son's kindy friends attend ACS and they are so wrecked by the end of the day, though I would imagine their parents don't have much choice. For me, I would prefer to be on a tighter budget and spend as much time with the kids during their formative years, though if the local public school was cr@p then I would reevaluate.