+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need help with divorce please

Last edited by mamatotwo; 16-10-2016 at 14:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Before you can apply for a divorce you need to be separated for 12 months. You can apply for a divorce and lodge your papers online, provided you do it as a joint application.

You don't need to be divorced to apply for centrelink. You can apply for that asap.

I'm not sure about the army moving for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You dont need to be divorced, just separated. In fact you can be separated and living underthe same roof, but it can be a bit more complicated, and it sounds like moving would be pretty high on the agenda.

You can move whenever you want - obviously the logisitcs need to be sorted if you are moving interstate.

Centerlink - call them today. You can apply immediately for single parenting payment from the day you are separated,and once your payments start it is backdated to the day you contacted centrelink. The application is done online and is relatively straight-forward, although you need quite a lot of information. As your situation changes (address, income etc) you just tell Centrelink. I use the Centrelink app regularly...once you have a Customer Ref Number, use the app and/or create your online account. I would get started on the Centrelink webpage.

Also call Child Support - even if you and you ex are amicable you need to register with Child Support - they will provide an asessment of the amount of CS your ex shoukld be paying. You can still have a private agreement (ie not enforced/collected by CS) but you still need the assessment done. It will be based on your Ex's income.

Make sure you have a bank account in your own name.

Get started with those things and everything else will start happening...

Good luck - itsnot easy being a single mumma...but its better than being in a shi**y relationship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Centrelink will make you do it all online. Log on and apply for parenting payments etc. They will probably then request you come in to prove identity so have docs etc ready.

I am sorry you are going through such a difficult time but try and get out asap.

Call legal aid too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The advice above is great, but I just popped in to say please don't rely on the Army paying for you to move. They are only liable to pay for the serving member when they are moving location due to posting. They won't pay for a spouse moving out due to divorce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Contact Dco + Dfa + they will point you in the right direction. From my knowledge of PACMAN you will be required to vacate the SR within 28days + you are entitled to a toll move. Padre on base can be really helpful as well particularly if DV is involved (they can arrange for your husband to stay on base until the move happens). If you feel unsafe or at risk of harm, call the police. If you need the relevant PACMAN docs let me know + I can Pm you the links. Best of luck through this tough time x

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's also an organisation (the name escapes me right now) to support defence families during/after a marriage breakdown. Will come back + let you know when I remember 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent advice above.

The only thing I would add is seeing a lawyer and making enquiries about financial settlement, child custody, plus more importantly if you need anything in writing from him agreeing to you moving your DS interstate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ex husband was in the Navy when we seperated and i was entitled to the removal, so yes look into it. We seperated in 2008, double check that the entitlement is still current. Go into centrelink and enquire about the single parent pension. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much.
    I am already registered with Centrelink we get a small portion of family tax a and b, so woild it just be a matter of updating my relationship status with them and my location once that changes?
    Does child support go through Centrelink as well?