+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Experience life, escape the rat race

We have been watching a show where a bunch of uk families have packed up and moved to remote places of the world for a more simpler life.
    I think I really want to do this. Sell up everything and travel with the kids for a year ( when they are a lot older). Has anyone done it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    We have been watching a show where a bunch of uk families have packed up and moved to remote places of the world for a more simpler life.
    I think I really want to do this. Sell up everything and travel with the kids for a year ( when they are a lot older). Has anyone done it?
    There is a FB group called travel Australia if your interested where people travel Australia camper van or whatever. We were going to do it but we needed more savings

Some people sell houses etc, rent them out. It looks so much fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am seriously considering this. But there are risks... Like the housing market booming while away and suddenly you can't buy anymore...

i would like like to start up an Internet business so I can live where I want to

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a long time I've loved the idea of 6/12 months campervanning around Aus. Then we did a week in NZ and it's really not for me!
    I'd like to take 6 months and return to the UK to where DH is from and just do nothing but enjoy the British summer and countryside.

But the reality of both working ft and owning a home in Sydney, probably makes it impossible 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing with these stories is that it's always some person who runs a business on line and makes a decent amount of money Or people who are wealthy and have assets they live off. They don't show you the person who comes back broke and needs to re adjust back into society. If we sold everything we would not get back into the housing market, it would be a hit to our careers and we might not get the paying jobs we have now.
    The kids would need to start new schools, you need furniture and a roof over your head plus a car. Those are huge costs.
    I'm not saying people can't do things like this and be fine but I think their is a huge reality people don't talk about with these things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not quite the same but we up and moved from outer Sydney area to a remote town (150ish people, 2 hours from the nearest town, 3+ hours from any McDonalds, grocery stores etc...) and it has been the best decision we have ever made. I'll never ever go back.

We are currently putting our pennies away to invest in a really good camper trailer that will suit us (4 kids aged 6, 4, 3 and 2) so we can spend the holidays travelling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Not quite the same but we up and moved from outer Sydney area to a remote town (150ish people, 2 hours from the nearest town, 3+ hours from any McDonalds, grocery stores etc...) and it has been the best decision we have ever made. I'll never ever go back.

We are currently putting our pennies away to invest in a really good camper trailer that will suit us (4 kids aged 6, 4, 3 and 2) so we can spend the holidays travelling.
    Genuine question, what do you guys do for work or income?
    That's my biggest issue, I have toyed with the idea of moving but I'm so worried about getting a job in a small town.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info, I wonder if there is global groups I can find. I've seen a lot of Australia already so after something a little more adventurous.
    Looking at 8 years time, when my eldest is in year 5 so she can complete primary with her friends.
    starting to plan now so we can afford it and have the time. I'm not planning on quitting my job but taking a mid career break.
    We will rely on savings, online calculators have indicated if we put a small amount in our mortgage repayments each week we'll have nearly an extra 200k to withdraw. Not planning on selling property, we will rent that out. The rent will be enough to cover its costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Thanks for the info, I wonder if there is global groups I can find. I've seen a lot of Australia already so after something a little more adventurous.
    Looking at 8 years time, when my eldest is in year 5 so she can complete primary with her friends.
    starting to plan now so we can afford it and have the time. I'm not planning on quitting my job but taking a mid career break.
    We will rely on savings, online calculators have indicated if we put a small amount in our mortgage repayments each week we'll have nearly an extra 200k to withdraw. Not planning on selling property, we will rent that out. The rent will be enough to cover its costs.
    That sounds even more amazing. There is a few things online where parents taught in camps (English etc and got paid)...

Washed things like that.. Think it depends. There is an Australian famous couple who camp around overseas

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Genuine question, what do you guys do for work or income?
    That's my biggest issue, I have toyed with the idea of moving but I'm so worried about getting a job in a small town.
    My husband works for state government and a particular position came up here so he put in a transfer so we were quite lucky. I don't work, I have 4 kids under 6 incl one with special needs so while we toyed with the idea of me getting a job here at a few places, just didn't make sense for us right now

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (30-03-2016)