+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My almost 3 year old is a tornado too. I try get him to eat at the table or his outdoor table but even so I stick dyson 3 times a day. The second the floor is mopped, he's got something spilt on it. Eating his porridge in the morning is just a gigantic mess. I pack up all his trains and toys when he naps, 2 hours later the lounge looks like a bomb has gone off. It gets me down some days but I just have to constantly keep moving, and then admit defeat! He does like to help putting things in the dishwasher, clothes in the washing machine etc. which is good. Yesterday I found weeds and dirt in my pot drawer..

Im mean too but one way I've gotten him to pack up his toys in a flash.. To get the vacuum out and tell him I'm going to suck them all up if he doesn't pack them up. Works a treat!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did the bin trick once a couple of years ago when the girls were 4&2yo. They watched me pack their crap off the floor into the wheelie bin and then the truck pick it up.

I cannot abide mess. The girls need to put their stuff away or I get super cranky. They know the consequences of not packing up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 4 year old DD still leaves everything lying around. Easiest way to get her to tidy up is I threaten to throw out anything that is not put away. And I mean it. I have thrown plenty away (some she knows about, some just disappears, some to the op shop). I freaking hate it!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vent about messy child.

I have most of 3yo stuff in tubs she can't access or open without my help. She's not allowed a new tub until the other sutff is packed away. No treats or snacks either. No TV shows unless it's tidy. I mostly still pack it up myself but she "helps" when forced sigh.

Despite this the house is a bomb site. My pet hate is play dough- she loves it and it gets tracked everywhere through the house. The baby often has it stuck on her clothes as she rolls on bits on the floor. She's also a shocker for food scraps- she often wanders around eating, plays with her food, feeds it to her dolls - the dog gets most but I still find bits everywhere. And rubbish stuffed in the lounge etc. She's a poor eater so I don't push that- I just want her to eat.

I would try the toys in the bin trick but I'm too weak to follow through and I think she already knows that, I only make threats I know I can make good on.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I have most of 3yo stuff in tubs she can't access or open without my help. She's not allowed a new tub until the other sutff is packed away. No treats or snacks either. No TV shows unless it's tidy.

My pet hate is play dough- she loves it and it gets tracked everywhere through the house. The baby often has it stuck on her clothes as she rolls on bits on the floor.
    Same here. But I have a very strict food policy.

Geez. Sounds like I run a military establishment instead of a home.

Upside- my house is usually guest ready at all times. And the kids are good at tidying up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Same here. But I have a very strict food policy.

Geez. Sounds like I run a military establishment instead of a home.

Upside- my house is usually guest ready at all times. And the kids are good at tidying up.
    I'm also super strict with food, I just cannot stans having food around the place &the idea of ants or mice.... ugh! One missed crumb on the carpet, & we will have a massive ant trail the next day. I've always enforced eating at the table or bench only, or outside. I hate when friends and families kids come over & walk arouns dropping food as they go, and smooshing it into the floor. I say 'oh we eat at the table' & then look to the parent to ask their child to eat at the table. If the parent doesnt enforce it, I have to let it go, but gahhh it drives me batsh!t crazy!

Oh. It felt good to get that out.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-03-2016),DarcyJ  (29-03-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (29-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are 9 and 11 and I have to constantly remind them to clean up after themselves and to clean their rooms. It is a never ending cycle lol.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Food is my main thing too, I always make sure the first thing I do is tidy the kitchen and sort out dirty dishes etc but I'm finding it impossible to keep DS at the table at the moment so it's hard to contain the mess. I ask him to sit at the table but it's like he just doesn't even realise I'm talking to him. He ignores almost everything I say and only listens when he wants to. No idea what to do about that lol.
    I've thought about doing the whole put all the toys in a bag and threaten to throw them out thing but I wasn't sure if he would understand. Also he seems to only just be starting to understand following directions and it's hit and miss as to whether he'll do it so I'm not sure how else to get him to help tidy.
    Oh well. We'll get there one day, I'm sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3 year old does the same, but will almost always pack up without complaint these days (despite arguing over every other tiny thing). It's been a combination of keeping everything packed away as much as possible, and taking things to op shops if they're not packed up. She knows damn well that I'm serious now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Food is my main thing too, I always make sure the first thing I do is tidy the kitchen and sort out dirty dishes etc but I'm finding it impossible to keep DS at the table at the moment so it's hard to contain the mess. I ask him to sit at the table but it's like he just doesn't even realise I'm talking to him. He ignores almost everything I say and only listens when he wants to.
    With my kids - they understand consequences. If they don't eat at the table, I remove food. If they stuff around- I remove food.

If they don't pack up. I remove items. If they don't pack up multiple times I completely get rid of it. We have a 3 strikes policy. I find it more beneficial to be a completely
    hard a$$ in the beginning and then ease up over time.

Beginning to see why my dh refers to me as Major RAH.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (31-03-2016)