+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vent about messy child.

I know this is probably pretty normal but I'm so over constantly cleaning up after my almost 3 year old son.
    Now, I know kids are messy and I am so far from being a neat freak. Mess doesn't bother me that much. But, I would at least like my house to be in a clean enough state that when people come over it doesn't look like we never clean up.

Right now, we are doing work in the yard and it's basically all mud and dirt. So the floor is constantly dirty as DS and DH come in and out. That's fine, it's totally expected and I can deal with that but I can't vaccuum until I pick up all the toys/books/etc off the floor. What really gives me the s**ts is that while I'm walking around picking stuff up, DS is walking around behind me pulling things out again and tossing them on the floor. He doesn't even want to play with any of it, he literally just pulls out all his books then leaves them on the floor and walks away. Tips over his entire basket of toys and then doesn't play with any of them. The other day he pulled all our dvds off the shelf and took all the discs out and just spread them all over the floor. It will take me forever to put them away because I need to sort out the discs and put them back in the right cases, but it only took him 3 seconds to pull them all down. He just does these things so quickly, like he will grab armfuls of books/dvds/toys of the shelf in one go and dump them. Oh and he knows how to open drawers and wardrobes now so clothes get thrown everywhere too and I have to fold them again and put them away.

And he won't help put anything away. Of course.

Anyway I know probably the only solution is to just move all the stuff but we have nowhere else to put the dvds and I don't want to take away all his books because he does occasionally read them. And I don't know what else I would do with his clothes. I've tried to find a child proof lock that fits our drawers/cupboards and that he can't open but no luck so far.

It wouldn't even bother me so much if he was taking a toy or book down and actually playing with it and then forgetting to put it away. But it is just deliberately making a mess. For no reason. Well, no reason I can think of anyway but I guess it's fun for him.

Anyway if you got this far, thanks for reading. I'm just so frustrated right now because I am sick of having a messy house. It makes me feel crappy but I feel so overwhelmed at the thought of trying to tidy it up and then just having my little tornado come through and ruin all my hard work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's probably normal and I feel your pain!

My DS is 5 and still quite messy. He's obsessed with Thomas & Friends at the moment so we frequently have train tracks & trains every freaking where!

He also used to frequently make a mess of the dvd's but thankfully he's grown out of that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have no answers but feel your pain. With the kids home for the past 4 days the house is a tip. One of them is making 3D lady birds for a school project and there is paint and paper and polystyrene all through the back. My 5 year old son is obsessed with sand so he plays with it all the time and it's in everything. My 10 year old DD is a complete grub and I'm only now making headway since she found a cockroach under her bed.

My 2 year old is nicknamed pig pen. Enough said.

We also have 2 dogs.

I have no answers just a lot of empathy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, to be honest I really thought he would have grown out of needlessly pulling things off the shelves but I guess I'll be putting up with it for a bit longer lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg THIS IS MY CHILD. My oldest dd 5yo is a tornado. I loathe it. She tears through the house causing destruction as she goes. I have been 'teaching' her to tidy up & not make needless mess since she was one. I have had zero success so far. I have culled her toys, put a lot of things out of reach, put locks on her cupboards (because she empties all her clothes out of them), cried, screamed, shouted, disciplined, lost my f#cking mind some days.... but havent had much success yet. Sorry. I would love to hear there is hope out there...
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 28-03-2016 at 16:32.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (28-03-2016),Mokeybear  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    My dd is currently going thermal nuclear in her bed room because I ...... God forbid ..... Asked her to clean it - I can't see the floor or the bed 😱 I am such a horrible mum!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, the only thing that worked for me was packing away dvd's etc and making the house ' minimalist ' lol. I also rotated access to toys, so kept one toy basket at a time. The gratuitous mess making for no apparent reason did my head in. Store things out of sight, our of mind. Eg under yr bed or high in a cupboard. The outside play sounds awesome so apart from lying down towels i cant think of anything to avoid dirty floors..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Hi there, the only thing that worked for me was packing away dvd's etc and making the house ' minimalist ' lol. I also rotated access to toys, so kept one toy basket at a time. The gratuitous mess making for no apparent reason did my head in. Store things out of sight, our of mind. Eg under yr bed or high in a cupboard. The outside play sounds awesome so apart from lying down towels i cant think of anything to avoid dirty floors..
    I'm not really worried about avoiding the dirty floors, I know that's inevitable. My issue is that I can never vaccuum properly because DS is constantly dumping stuff on the floor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Oh I feel your pain! DD is also 3 and she is exactly like this, it does my head in! Like you I wouldn't mind if she was actually playing with things but she'll just pull stuff out, dump it all over the floor and walk away. God forbid I should ask her to clean it up, even if I 'help' her she's just so stubborn I end up doing it all myself.

A couple of weeks ago I lost my shiz and told her anything that was still lying on the floor in 10 minutes was going in the bin. After 10 mins I went around picked everything up and put it in a trash bag, she lost her mind and had a huge tantrum but I ignored her and just repeated that if she wasn't going to tidy up after herself I was going to get rid of her things. I kept them obviously and the next couple of days gave her a chance to 'earn' then back with good behavior. It helped for a bit and when she refuses to tidy up I remind her that I will throw the toys away. It doesn't always work but it's something. Good luck! I can totally empathize!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6yo son isn't too bad. He is forgetful and argumentative but generally if I ask the toys to be put away he will begrudgingly do it. My 4yo son (he has autism) hides fruit all over the house which is so bad. Often I don't find it until it's a mouldy rotten shell of what it once was and the carpet under his bed has stains where I'm assuming the acid has stripped colour from the fibre. My 3yo daughter is the next Picasso. She draws on walls enough (and every single wall in my house, no exaggeration) that I got over all the shiny spots from scrubbing and have decided I will just repaint in a year or two with that fancy washable paint.
    My 2yo son is in his own room while the other 3 share (he is supposed to be with them but is a brat at night time). All of the drawers for all of the children (so 4 cabinets of 6 draws) are in that room and he empties them all usually once or twice a day.

All of this is on top of just the general mess and throwing stuff on the floor and I am currently sitting next to my 2yo while he throws rice on the floor.

I hate people just coming to my house because I swear it's so atrocious they just might vomit. Despite my vacuuming several times a day usually. If they come between midnight and 4am they might see it clean but otherwise, nope.

A lady lives two doors up from me and has a 6yo and 3yo. And her house always looks spotless. She assures me it isn't always like that but I'm sure she is trying to make me feel good haha.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll miss the mess in 20 years time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-03-2016)