+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Pregnant and diabetic, early induction question

I know I'm probably better off asking my Dr this question but she's off for the long weekend so I thought I'd see if anyone here has been through a similar situation.

I'm type 2 diabetic. It's well controlled with insulin. At the beginning of my pregnancy my Ob said that we would most likely have to get bub out by 38 weeks because babies born to diabetic women can often be bigger. I was ok with this and didn't want to be induced due to chance of rupture of my previous emergency caesarean scar so we agreed that if I didn't go into labour naturally by 38 weeks I would have an elective caesarean.

Anyway 38 weeks is quickly approaching and I'm booked in for the caesarean next week but my baby is measuring on the small side. Not severely small but just on the smaller side of average. I've been thinking about this a lot this past weekend as I get ready to go in for my caesarean and wondering is it really necessary for baby to be out by 38 weeks if she's not that big. Is there another reason she needs to be out by 38 weeks? Maybe because of the insulin? I'm not sure. I'll call my Ob as soon as she gets back to ask her but I wondered if anyone here might know?

With DD I went into labour naturally at 38 +4 so if baby isn't that big I'd really like to wait maybe until 39 weeks to give myself a chance to go into labour naturally again. Just not sure if there's some other reason besides having a big baby that a diabetic woman would need to be induced early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I know I'm probably better off asking my Dr this question but she's off for the long weekend so I thought I'd see if anyone here has been through a similar situation.

I'm type 2 diabetic. It's well controlled with insulin. At the beginning of my pregnancy my Ob said that we would most likely have to get bub out by 38 weeks because babies born to diabetic women can often be bigger. I was ok with this and didn't want to be induced due to chance of rupture of my previous emergency caesarean scar so we agreed that if I didn't go into labour naturally by 38 weeks I would have an elective caesarean.

Anyway 38 weeks is quickly approaching and I'm booked in for the caesarean next week but my baby is measuring on the small side. Not severely small but just on the smaller side of average. I've been thinking about this a lot this past weekend as I get ready to go in for my caesarean and wondering is it really necessary for baby to be out by 38 weeks if she's not that big. Is there another reason she needs to be out by 38 weeks? Maybe because of the insulin? I'm not sure. I'll call my Ob as soon as she gets back to ask her but I wondered if anyone here might know?

With DD I went into labour naturally at 38 +4 so if baby isn't that big I'd really like to wait maybe until 39 weeks to give myself a chance to go into labour naturally again. Just not sure if there's some other reason besides having a big baby that a diabetic woman would need to be induced early.
    I'm not type 2 but with all pregnancies I had gestational diabetes. I was induced with all three, but this last prwgnancy as I was insulin dependent , I was induced at 38 weeks exactly and bub was born three days later. They say babies of diabetic/ gestational diabetic women can be overly big but if you manage your eating wwell than baby will be normal. I've had a 2.75kg bub, 3.9kg, my youngest DD is 4 weeks old and was 2.8kg.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there, I am also a type 2 diabetic and was on insulin for my pregnancy. I was induced at 38 weeks and I believe one of the biggest reasons was due to the high risk of still birth and also the placenta begins to stop functioning well ( I think mainly because of the insulin??). Hope that helps. My Bub was on the smaller side as well. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shmakes79 For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice sorry but following as I too have T2 diabetes and have been told I will be induced by 38 weeks. Interested in responses

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 38 weeks , I had gestational diabetes and was told that going to full term could mean a much bigger baby. Dd was only 7pd 2 so i am of no help either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GDM with my 2nd however diet controlled. I was planning VBAC after EMCS first birth. When I was first diagnosed my OB was very doom-and-gloom this-baby-must-be-out-at-38w etc. However as my pregnancy progressed so well, scans showed growth and fluid were normal, I had no other issues like blood pressure etc, he then fully supported going to 40w.

I did a LOT of reading and found it really hard because a lot of the statistics on 'diabetes risks' like large babies, placental deterioration and low fluid are swayed by the inclusion of mothers with poorly controlled/uncontrolled diabetes in the statistics. It was really hard to get a clear picture of the risks.

If you do want to go further it is quite likely they will want scans every couple of days to check everything is staying good.