+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Spin off: describe your 9-11yo son

Ok so rather than hijack the other thread I thought I'd start a new one - what is your 9-11yo son like?

Mine is driving me crazy - defiant, borderline rude, fixated with all things electronic (doesn't necessarily get electronics but constantly asking), angry, tearful, doesn't listen and quite frankly a handful.

Rewards don't work, punishment doesn't work and I'm lost as to how to get back to the child he was 6 months ago. Nothing major has happened, no issues at school as far as I know, he's just pushing the boundaries and nothing we do works to re-establish them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loving, caring, massive help with his younger siblings, polite and hardworking happy student at school that is outgoing and has loads of friends, defiant, rude, pushes his brothers to there limits to get a reaction, can be lazy at times and likes to guilt trip. Thinking it's all normal 10 going on 11 year old behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say hormones hormones hormones! Does he have body odour yet? This was one of the first signs of onset of puberty in DS1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our4boys View Post
    Loving, caring, massive help with his younger siblings, polite and hardworking happy student at school that is outgoing and has loads of friends, defiant, rude, pushes his brothers to there limits to get a reaction, can be lazy at times and likes to guilt trip. Thinking it's all normal 10 going on 11 year old behaviour.
    See this is my problem, he isn't hardworking, doesn't have lots of friends, isn't always polite - if I had the mix of the good and the bad I wouldn't be so worried but it's hard to see the good behaviours in him at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I would say hormones hormones hormones! Does he have body odour yet? This was one of the first signs of onset of puberty in DS1.
    Not so much body odour but I have noticed his hair stinks all the time, like it always needs a wash - does that count?

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the signs of puberty is that they sweat more - hence the body odour. His hair needing more frequent washing could well be part of that. My DS1 went through a very surly stage around 9-10. Gosh he was not pleasant to be around. It was definitely the onset of puberty and hormones gone wild.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine is loving, kind, great student, helps around the house (when prompted), good company... Yet has become very selfish. The world revolves around him and how he is feeling. One set of rules for him and a different for everyone else. Hoping he will snap out of that phase soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What forms of punishment do you use for his poor behaviour? I threaten to not allow my son to go to training or play sport on a weekend and that snaps him out of it pretty quick 😉.... or removal of a toy or technology works too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spin off: describe your 9-11yo son

@Jarylee we take away electronics, we send him to his room, we take away TV. We haven't taken sport away as I don't think he'd be that concerned, he enjoys his sport but if he doesn't go he thinks it's an excuse to have more computers.

He had been having counselling for anxiety and negativity and was improving but now life is unfair to him, everything is against him, everyone has something he doesn't have, he should have different rules to everyone else.

Right now I am at a loss with him, his sister told him she had an ulcer and he yelled at her he didn't care, broke my heart, I was lost for words

ETA he is a good student, very intelligent, well behaved when grandparents have him, seems to bottle it all up for home.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 28-03-2016 at 18:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shameless bump, am I the only one with a handful of a 9yo boy?