+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    But its not the posting that is inappropriate. Its the thoughts of someone on said post that is/could be inappropriate IYKWIM?

It should be the person who thinks these thoughts that should be pulled up not the person posting an innocent picture.
    ETA. We spend so much time discussing what the innocent party should not do. When they are not at fault. Sure - we can say that 'men/boys will always think that way' but if we are discussing that it is 'wrong' for a girl to post something rather than pulling up those in the wrong then if course those people will continue on their merry way validating their thoughts because it is the girl's fault.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (28-03-2016),PomPoms  (28-03-2016),Renn  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    But honestly men and adults who think that way would still think that if her DD was just smiling innocently and dressed in any outfit as she is clearly an attractive girl so does that mean we ban all photos and not let her leave the house - no - we teach our kids and teenagers about how to respect themselves and how to ignore unwanted attention and let them live their lives without always worrying about what other people think as we can't change that

OP I see those photos and think your DD is gorgeous and an instantly envious of her nails and hair! I have many friends with teen daughters and I have 3 teen nieces, all gorgeous and all have guidelines on what's appropriate or not to post and luckily none have had any problems ( 3 go to a private school who has a very strict social media policy and no provocative photos are allowed which definitely helps ) but their parents are very upfront and have put these guidelines in place and we have told them ( as employers) how important your social profile now is today

DS is only in kindy but even they had to sign a social media and iPad usage policy about what the school expects and what is appropriate which I think it's great starting so young!
    Just as a last note. I do understand what you are saying but you can speak to a 13 year old till the cows come home their brains are not developed enough to understand consequences and risks.
    My mum told me a billion times not to do half the things I did as a teenager. I thought " meh I'm different, it won't happen to me".

I know it can happen to anyone. I guess as parents we each need to find our own level of comfortable when it comes to these issues.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry OP. For someone who said they would not post I seem to have a lot to say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    I can't answer for other posters but I said it looks like she's trying to be sexy. Now that may not be the case at all I totally admit that, but its how its perceived by others ( or could be by boys, men and pedophiles etc) that's the whole point of this thread isn't it? Why posting certain pictures is inappropriate?
    I'm not particularly worried about pedophiles or online predators or even what men think...those sort of people will always be around. I don't think she is any more at risk than any other young girl online. It is her own social and school community that I am most concerned about.
    That, and the concern she *may* feel she needs to be "sexy" to be attractive or popular or to fit in.
    Last edited by Kaybaby; 28-03-2016 at 15:36.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But its not the posting that is inappropriate. Its the thoughts of someone on said post that is/could be inappropriate IYKWIM?

It should be the person who thinks these thoughts that should be pulled up not the person posting an innocent picture.
    True I see what you are saying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry OP. For someone who said they would not post I seem to have a lot to say.
    Haha...go for it ☺
    I value everyone's input..and love a good conversation about tricky issues. I'm just glad it has stayed civil

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I showed my husband the photo and said if DD posted this photo (showed your DD- and he said DD would be wanting sex attention). Sorry I hope I'm making sense.
    Was he aware that he was looking at a 13 year old child? And he said she was looking for "sex attention"? I find that sickening to be honest. And this is exactly the issue at hand. It is not the 13 year old girl and her selfie that are the problem, it is these attitudes from men and the fact that a grown man thinks it's ok to speak of this young girl in a sexual manner.
    We should not be teaching our daughters that they need to hide their bodies or be ashamed because of the actions of others. What we should be doing is telling men, boys or whoever else that these attitudes to young women or any women for that matter are unacceptable.
    I'd like to think that my son will be raised to treat women with respect and not to assume that everything they do is about sex.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (28-03-2016),FearlessLeader  (28-03-2016),Lincolns mummy  (28-03-2016),MissMuppet  (29-03-2016),PomPoms  (28-03-2016),RedCreamingSoda  (29-03-2016),Renn  (28-03-2016),smallpotatoes  (28-03-2016),SoThisIsLove  (28-03-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (28-03-2016),twinklify  (28-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Kaybaby, I think you are doing everything right. Seriously. You have a gorgeous daughter blossoming into womanhood and that's hard. Compound that with today's technology, SM etc and there are no right answers. You do what feels right to you.

I was a mature 13 yo, and while all was done innocently, my friends and I knew when we were being provocative and sought attention. That was 23 years ago, and thank god barely an Internet.

This is such a deeply personal thing. From your posts, you seem very level headed and pragmatic, so I think your daughter will listen to what you have to say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Please do not say this teen is being 'inappropriate' or is dressed provocatively. The OP has said it is a leotard - i.e. dancing. .
    The thing is there was no dance studio, calisthenics pose or gym floor in sight. There was a mirror and a phone. To be honest I am scratching my head at how many people are oblivious to the fact that there is more to this photo than athleticism.

I'm not saying the ops daughter is bad or anything - from the photo she appears to be stunningly beautiful. And it's certainly not the most troubling photo I've seen on social media. Just that the OP should consider the underlying reasons why the photo was posted before things snowball and bite her on the ****.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Social media and teens

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    We should not be teaching our daughters that they need to hide their bodies or be ashamed because of the actions of others. What we should be doing is telling men, boys or whoever else that these attitudes to young women or any women for that matter are unacceptable.
    It's not all about educating men. This is a teachable moment too for a young girl in the ops DD's position - girls are worth more than their bodies. There's no need to preen to attract friends or a partner. Knock people out with your wit and kindness, not your body.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-03-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-03-2016)